Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Clifton cheder 2014

amother

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 9:50 am
Hi,

I am thinking about switching my son from yk to the cheder and wanted to know if anyone can tell me info about the school. I already know the parent body type- I don't necessarily fit that mold, but I think this school might be the best for my son. do they have a 4th grade boys class? do I have to worry each year about the school closing? how much do they charge for tuition? what high schools do the boys go to?
any info would be very helpful!

amother- because I don't want anyone who knows me to find out about this.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 9:59 am
can't help but I'm from Clifton so I know the "parent bodies" and I just wanted to say kol hakavod for considering what's best for your child!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 10:02 am
thank you- I feel like I can get along with anyone. I have lived all over from modern orthodox to very yeshivish until I settled in Passaic. I am very happy here but my son gets beat up constantly- he is just a very sweet boy who won't fight back and it bothers me. I have been told by rebbeim and principles that this is what boys do- that is not an answer for me and I am looking for an alternative now.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 12:12 pm
bump-really need info

amother

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 12:14 pm
call the school and set up an appointment to meet with them

amother

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 12:14 pm
I would seriously look into YBH as well. The classes are smaller and they are really doing a nice job with the boys. The boys go to all types of high schools from MTA to Shaar Hatorah and many others in between.
Good luck.
I live in Passaic and have had boys and girls graduate from YBH.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 12:22 pm
the cheder is a small school. not sure who is on imamother. I just e-mailed a friend who sends there. If she responds I'll post.

passaicmom

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 12:25 pm
I have a few boys in the Cheder, and I am very happy there. If you are switching your son for this year the fourth grade Rabbi is amazing. The tuition is just a little bit more then YKP. The oldest grade in the school is seventh grade. If you want to know more you can message me. And the parent body is very diverse.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 12:27 pm
thank you all for your advice. I looked into ybh and I don't think it is good for my son. Someone close to me taught there- and he said the older boys come out the same as yk. I am looking for a change but I am not funky style so I am a little worried about the cheder and also paying 2 schools tuition. I have a few more kids in yk which I plan on leaving there.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 12:58 pm
has there been any graduating classes yet?

passaicmom

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 1:07 pm
The oldest boys are in seventh grade.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 9:29 am
so my friend responded-
1. full tuition is more than YKP, though they do give financial aid.

2. There is a 4th grade this year, though it has 5 kids in it. The upper grades are small, but I don't know an exact amount.

4. Last year and this year, they didn't have an 8th grade, so I don't know where the boys go afterwards. One year I think the boys went to Edison and local mesivtas.

5. Would this boy need services like OT and Speech? I have found that larger schools have more available in terms of providing services/counseling, but smaller schools also have a smaller faculty to student ratio, which is good.

6. I don't see bullying as being such an issue for my son's class, though I don't know much about the other classes. It might be a good idea to speak to someone in the older grades to find out more.

I hope this helps.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 9:53 am
thank you- I like the smaller class idea- as long as he won't be labeled as being in a small class. right now my son is in the small class in yk and he is labeled because of it. he doesn't need services. he just needs a more exciting learning experience-which I feel the cheder might be able to help with.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 10:47 am
New amother here.

Most of my other children attend YKP. I did have one daughter in the Clifton Cheder for a short time until the girls' division closed. My daughter did well there and would have continued to attend if they had not closed. I don't know that we really "fit the mold" of the parent body either, on the outside ours is a more typical YKP family, but from my experience the Cheder has a more diverse parent body than does YKP. So I don't think you need to be "funky style" to fit in, or for your son to have a successful experience there.

One difference between YKP and the Cheder that I encountered is that I was asked directly to volunteer. I attribute that to the smaller size of the school and somewhat more precarious budget. Also IME many YKP rebbeim give candy and soda as prizes, which isn't done at YKP. But IMO these are minor issues compared to finding the best school for your child.

I do know of other parents in the Passaic community who send their children to different school systems. I knew other Cheder parents who sent other children to YBH or YKP, though this wasn't very common.

When the Cheder closed their girls' division, some parents pulled their boys out too. A few boys ended up in my son's elementary class, and seem to be doing quite well.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 2:07 pm
there's a meet and greet
january 11 at the school at 7:45 if you are interested.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 5:58 pm
The meet and greet I feel doesn't give the same information as parents in the school could do

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 7:09 pm
I'm the amother who posted it. I totally hear you on that one. My friend who had given me the other information just told me about it so I figured I would post.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 5:07 pm
thank you

I actually went to the meet and greet and was very impressed with the school. I am in the middle of finishing the application. if this school is what it seems to be, my son will have a great few elementary years. I am very optimistic-as long as they help with tuition

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 2:32 pm
I am not from Passaic but am thinking of moving there and sending to the cheder?
What is the parent body type?
What kind of help do they give for tuition.
TIA
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics