Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
IKEA closets and planning services - experiences?

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 8:31 am
We are looking to buy some new storage furniture for our bedroom and/or living room. Has anyone here used IKEA's closet systems and/or their service that helps plan them?

1. How do you find the closets? Are they good value? I have never bought closets elsewhere, can I assume that the price is better at IKEA? What about after you pay around $99 for delivery because our vehicle is not large enough for closet pieces? How's the quality?

2. Do you think it's worth it to use their planning help? The service is offered free so it's just a matter of time/needing to schedule an appointment. Also we were thinking of going down today and the planner is not in today at all. We have the day off for MLK. I say we have never done this before, shouldn't we get help from someone who knows how these things work especially since they offer it free. DH says how difficult can this be, just choose some shelves and drawers and rods and it will all be good. Opinions please?!

asp40

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 10:15 am
I highly recommend checking out the Container Store Elfa closet system. They are amazing and have sales a few times during the year.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 10:40 am
Persnally, I find that the closests look good but aren't great quiality. We have moved them once since buying them (from apartment to apartment- had to build them again) and they just aren't that stable. Today, I wouldn't buy them again. Especially the bedroom closets.

But they are pretty and they were good at first and they are still holding up.

BTW if building it is free I would def use them. it's doable - we have done that- but its work.

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:46 am
No, not building it - just planning it, helping you figure out which pieces go together best... Building it I think they do for an extra $100 or more.

Asp, I will check it out but I thought Elfa was just the racks and shelves and stuff, not the closet itself? I'm looking for the actual piece of furniture because my current closets are not enough.

Thanks for the review, amother. I will definitely want the closets to come with us when we move IYH. I have heard that ikea things move better if you don't take them apart, if possible.

Does anyone have a different suggestion in the same price range (about $600 for about 5-6' of closets with inside attachments)

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 10:35 am
Bump. No more closet-buying advice? Elfa is only shelves, not the closets themselves. I need the actual furniture.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 5:44 pm
we have the ikea pax system. we didn't use any personal service, we used their planner on their website. search for pax planner. it's fairly easy to use.

the closet system looks nice and works for our purposes. it is VERY heavy. we do not intend to take it with us if/when we move. the options are very nice, but if you plan to put doors with hinges on, you cannot place drawers on the level of the hinges. we're ok with that, but you may not love it.

we're happy with the purchase. we put the system together ourselves. we did have ikea deliver, and I had to call them and yell at them a few times to get everything we were supposed to get.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics