Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Could this be PANDAS? And if so, then what?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 1:00 am
Preschool-DD has had some relatively minor social/emotional/sensory/behavioral issues for a while and is receiving various therapies for them. So she does have issues in general which is why my first assumption would be that recent episodes were a worsening of that. I have never suspected PANDAS before because I know common signs include OCD and sudden onset, neither of which was relevant, plus NOBODY in the family had EVER been diagnosed with strep despite having undergone plenty of throat cultures. Plus, some sensory/ADHD/other issues run in the family a little anyway so her issues weren't surprising.

However, last night she was a MONSTER (I know, touchy word around here today...) Hitting and kicking me and DH purposefully (in the past she has occasionally slapped/kicked but not for the purpose of slapping, more out of either defensiveness/lack of control/general flailing) repeatedly, uncontrollable wild behavior, fighting against consequences, just all-around really awful and totally caught me and DH off-guard, she has been challenging in the past but we had no idea how to respond to this intensity of outburst. I contacted her SEIT and was told that today in school too she acted out, including in an unusual way (not her usual behaviors; destructively messing up centers even after engaging in a grounding/exercising/quiet place break)

Then today I and my other DC were diagnosed with strep throat. (This DD did not come along to the doctor since she seemed to be feeling fine and had no symptoms.) So now I'm wondering if perhaps the germ that gave us sore throats is causing her behavior flare-ups? People who know about PANDAS, does this sound like it could be it?

And if it is/could be, what next? Would the bacteria show up on a culture even if she doesn't have a sore throat, or do you diagnose this by blood test, or what? How is it treated? Does it ever go away on its own, like maybe the germ will just pass out of her system and her behavior will return to normal, or is this something we must figure out and treat right away?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide insight about this.

bnm

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 1:52 am
test her. she might be a strep carrier.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics