Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Miser on food in eretz Israel advice

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 11:20 pm
As a balaas teshuva, my fairly-frum very supportive mother is bH welcoming to give her info for when she's in eretz Israel for purchasing food regarding the mitzvah of terumah & miser.

We're good in terms of having a list of recommended hechsherim.

But how does it work with shopping when it's not a frum grocery store like Bircat Rachel or in geula?
How does one shop at the shuk and know what's ok?

Just looking for ideas from other ladies here - I realize that I can surely ask my LOR, thank you!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 11:25 pm
All major supermarket chains are fine, as long as you go by rabbanut.
I don't frequent the shuk so I don't know about that.

5mom

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 3:11 am
We don't take maaser during shmitta, so that's not going to be an issue this year. You do need to think about what sorts of vegetables you eat now. (Fruit season starts soon with regard to shmitta.) This is too complicated for a single post, but there are guides in English for the shmitta year, both online and published books. Good luck, it's a wonderful thing to be able to observe this mitzvah.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 3:17 am
As far as I know, all major grocery store chains (except Tiv Tam or that Tel Aviv store that stays open 24/7 (I forgot its name)) are kosher, so there is no issue of terumah & maser.

This year is shanat shmitta, so there are additional concerns over whether produce is otzer beit din, heter mechira, imported, etc. I don't buy produce anywhere unless I understood the hecshers, esp this year, for that reason.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions