Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How to check rice

Sweety19

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 4:12 pm
What am I supposed to be checking for when I buy rice that isn't pre-checked? And what is the best way to do it? I feel really silly to be asking this question but I honestly have no idea.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 8:23 pm
You're basically looking for bugs or bug-eaten rice, also for occasional sand or tiny pebble. I usually scoop as many cups I need to cook into a white bowl and swish around with my fingers. Whatever is black-ish I spot gets thrown away. I use both basmati and short-grain rice, but this happens very very rarely. (Disclaimer: I'm not in Israel so maybe the level of infestation etc could be different.)

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 8:51 pm
Keep an eye out for something that looks like tiny cobwebs, or "rice dust" in the bottom of the bag. If so, then you've just imported pantry moths, and you need to take the entire bag out of the the house ASAP or you'll never get rid of them.

Same thing for any grain based products. I only buy small bags that I can keep in the freezer, or use it as quickly as I can (which I hate to do, because I prefer to buy in bulk.)

Pantry moths are EVIL! Mad

Sweety19

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 3:51 pm
Thank you so much for your responses! I'm a bit clearer now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen