Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Just Cracked Myself Up!

alef12

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 10:41 am
I just cracked myself up lol Very Happy
I was heading to the the place that's helping me renew my Child Health Plus (government subsidized insurance for kids) and I realized I had with me my Coach handbag. ($39 from TJ Maxx but no one else knows that Very Happy )
I thought of all the ladies here and recent (and not so recent ) discussions and laughed out loud.
At least I was driving a 20+ year old car LOL .

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 10:48 am
How dare you spend $39 on a handbag when a shopping bag would do just fine?

And why are you driving? What's wrong with public transportation, a bicycle, or a horse?

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 10:50 am
I'm just not sure why it's funny ... but to each their own ... I've cried when denied as a kid was in the hospital and people were standing around with fancy clothes and fancy phones ~ just sayin'

alef12

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:11 am
I think it's funny because anyone looking at me might think "There goes that fancy lady. How dare she get government help with insurance for her kids if she's spending the big bucks on her handbag." Meanwhile. .. LOL A lesson in being Dan Lekaf Zechus I guess. ..

BTW Child Health Plus is not free, you pay, based on your income a small amount each month for it. It is not for low income but middle income, a family of my size *could* make up to like $130,000 a year (we don't ) and still qualify (at that point you pay $60 a child per month, max $180... still peanuts in comparison to buying health insurance outright for them) see chart here: https://www.health.ny.gov/heal.....t.htm

alef12

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:14 am
greenfire wrote:
I'm just not sure why it's funny ... but to each their own ... I've cried when denied as a kid was in the hospital and people were standing around with fancy clothes and fancy phones ~ just sayin'

Sorry, not trying to make you feel bad Sad . And if anyone asks me about my bag I gladly share with them what a great bargain I got. I don't wear "fancy clothes" etc... so I think people probably just assume it's a fake bag Wink

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:21 am
39 dollars for a bag.... At wits end At wits end

I get even nicer fancier bags, for 5$ at DejaNew...

39 dollars is a week of groceries.....

alef12

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:26 am
amother wrote:
39 dollars for a bag.... At wits end At wits end

I get even nicer fancier bags, for 5$ at DejaNew...

39 dollars is a week of groceries.....

What's DejaNew? Sounds like my kind of place Wink

And tell me how you spend only $39 a week on groceries, even with sales and coupons we spend more than that!

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:26 am
alef12 wrote:
Sorry, not trying to make you feel bad Sad . And if anyone asks me about my bag I gladly share with them what a great bargain I got. I don't wear "fancy clothes" etc... so I think people probably just assume it's a fake bag Wink

it's not you per say - it's the idea of finding it full of humour ...

but like you said it's not like you spent hundreds on a coach bag & we still get the right to look nice with bargains - however they are obtain - or splurges when necessary

Bitachon101

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 6:36 pm
I couldn't give a darn if my bag were real or fake and I'm all for the cheap versions.... I see the humor in this post. Its more like a sarcastic humor.

Its the way I felt when seeing everyone else after giving birth looking all put together in heels and makeup and more and I felt like I was half dead. Yet one day I went out and looked great and realized ppl prob thought I was that woman to be jealous of and it cracked me up cuz I felt like a drab.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 6:45 pm
alef12 wrote:
I think it's funny because anyone looking at me might think "There goes that fancy lady. How dare she get government help with insurance for her kids if she's spending the big bucks on her handbag." Meanwhile. .. LOL A lesson in being Dan Lekaf Zechus I guess. ..

BTW Child Health Plus is not free, you pay, based on your income a small amount each month for it. It is not for low income but middle income, a family of my size *could* make up to like $130,000 a year (we don't ) and still qualify (at that point you pay $60 a child per month, max $180... still peanuts in comparison to buying health insurance outright for them) see chart here: https://www.health.ny.gov/heal.....t.htm

So nobody knows that you're actually getting a subsidized plan so it's all good Smile. And btw, $180/month is the highest subsidized premium if you make more than that category you pay full which can be twice that.

alef12

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 7:35 pm
Yes, sarcastic humor, exactly. Or irony.
Oh, and I went home after that and cleaned out the chicken coop. So much for the fancy lady with the Coach bag. I'm more the farm girl LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics