Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Lakewood - The best of it, worst of it and everything in bet
Previous  1  2  3  4

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:17 am
monseychick wrote:
In the friend regard , Lakewood is just suburban BP... 40 yr old ladies are friends with the girls they went to HS with..

For real friendships you need to move OOT

Monseychick, my sister lived in Monsey for a while, and said her neighbors noticed she had a baby after about 6 months.

She moved to Lakewood and found it infinitely friendlier.

mommyla

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:53 am
debsey and Chayelle covered everything that I'd want to say. I'd love to meet both of you!

kollel wife

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 12:03 pm
I think friendships take time to develop and also different personalities will click quicker. I had a neighbor my kids played with their kids a lot, but I never would have thought we'd become more friendly. She's actually a lot younger than me. Now with shared difficulties/challenges that we've helped each other through our friendship has grown a lot.

Another neighbor used to borrow a bedroom when making simchas, but I had so little to say to her. Eventually as time passed we had more in common, and now we have plenty to say.

I think it just takes time and maybe more than just superficial conversation/engagement.

sourstix

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 12:12 pm
[quote="allrgymama"]To address OP's question:

The things that are bad about Lakewood (in my experience) are the things that are terrible while you're going through them (like getting a kid into school and I can't even think of anything else) but once it's over, you get on with life and it has the same difficulties of any other neighborhood.

There's bad traffic and, because it is so lush with grass and trees and flowers in the spring it's particularly depressing (for me) in the winter. (Although driving down stretches of Kennedy when the trees are covered in snow and everything is quiet has it's own beauty).

Most living expenses are cheaper.

On a very personal note, I NEVER wanted to live in LKWD. I had these horrible pre-conceived notions about how it was going to be and, in the 6 years that I'm living here, I've learned that 1) things are really what you make of them and 2) your neighbors are vital.

I live on a block with neighbors of different ages and backgrounds, who got married at different ages and have children at different stages who (themselves, their husbands or both) are employed in different fields. Everyone's opinion is important and valid. This is a HUGE part of why I enjoy living in LKWD. I grew up going to a bungalow colony (not a summer home) and the sitting outside schmoozing is amazing. I have really really changed as a person since my marriage and since developing relationships with my neighbors (though it was a constant effort at times to put myself out of my introverted comfort zone).

Lastly, living in LKWD is really forcing me (in a good way) into a more yeshivish mentality. While I get teased by my family (and my own internal monologue) often, I know that this is ultimately better for my family. Things would have been much more different in a different place (and honestly, even I. A different development in LKWD or with different neighbors)[/quote]co

in terms of traffic try coming to brooklyn, then lakewood will be a breeze

sky

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 12:35 pm
In Brooklyn you have the option to walk to stores and food shopping. In Lakewood your only option is to sit in traffic (at least parking is considerably easier once you get there) - especially the weeks before yom tov when the traffic hits grid lock stages.

sourstix

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 12:36 pm
sky-which places are the most traffic? I am asking cause I am moving and would like a little info. is it the 9?

sky

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 12:43 pm
route 9 is bad in the morning, mid afternoon (around 2) and then later in the afternoon (around 4). (I think I have that right). It gets congested between Pine St and Central Ave. Past Pine\James I don't think it is so bad [Sometimes you can take James or Cross to bypass it]. And then during some times from 6th street to Central. Before Yom Tov season it does get significantly worse when everyone is shopping. [I always tell my DH to remind me not to save anything for the 2 - 3 weeks before].
Central Ave can get very bad in the morning and late afternoon, toward Route 9, Sometimes backed up way past Sunset.
Pine street Mid afternoon (maybe morning also??). especially by the new Stop Sign. and toward Rt. 9.
I've heard County Line rd also gets bad.
Downtown can sometimes turn into one big gridlock between Clifton, route 9, Ocean Ave and 6th Street. it just doesn't move.
Days when there is no bussing is a disaster.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 12:48 pm
Depending on where you live and where you shop it's possible to really bypass the traffic entirely. This morning I went to NPGS James St around 930 and didn't hit any traffic, even though it's peak traffic time in a lot of other areas.

Also, since a lot of the schools started arranging their own bussing on days when there is no BOE bussing, even those days are not as bad.

UQT

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 8:31 pm
amother wrote:
(2)The statement "the reason housing developments in Lakewood are called complexes is because they cause you to develop one" has a lot of truth to to it.

Going to go out on a limb and stick up for the complex life. I've been living in one close to a decade and really love it! I've made friends with my neighbors, my kids have friends and my husband has a rav and a chevra. The complex completely relies on each other, almost like family. We send stuff to each other simchas, cook supper after babies and in crises modes, and watch each other's kids in a pinch. I always have someone to schmooze with outside on long shabbosim. Our husbands have Shabbos chavrusa's. I think it's wonderful.

As far as feeling that these friendships are just temporary - how many classmates are you still in touch with? I can only think of one. That's the way of the world - you have relationships with the people you see on a daily basis, but once you move on it's hard to keep in touch.

henny1

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 8:37 pm
I heard there are long lines at the mikvas in lakewood.......................

sky

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 8:42 pm
henny1 wrote:

there are NEVER lines in Lakewood. Just late appts in the summer. b'h the winter is a breeze.

pause

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 9:11 pm
henny1 wrote:

And here we go again and again... Rolling Eyes

debsey

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:20 pm
mommyla wrote:
debsey and Chayelle covered everything that I'd want to say. I'd love to meet both of you!

For all you know, you HAVE! LOL

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:37 pm
debsey wrote:

We should totally have a Lakewood meet-up!

Emotional

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:41 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
We should totally have a Lakewood meet-up!

I'm in!

mommyla

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:54 pm
debsey wrote:

Ha!
I'm in too, if anyone wants to organize - too much on my plate right now...

summer0808

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:59 pm
I'm in too! During the day please!

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 12:00 am
summer0808 wrote:
I'm in too! During the day please!

I work during the day...

amother

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 12:00 am
We are considering to make the move & found this thread very helpful. Which areas would I need to look into if I want a mixed crowd where I get my privacy too & can have a rental (3 br) for approx 1500?

lk1234

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 8:17 am
What about Washington Square. I heard their rentals are really nice.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating