Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do so many frum people have so much money?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

amother

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 4:03 pm
amother wrote:
I just wanna say that it's not how much money you have that decides how much you'll go on vacation. Dh and I have been married 2 1/2 years and we have only gone on vacation, once for half a week plus one other night, another time. We can definitely afford a full out vacation but dh is too frum to go anywhere:( he doesn't look too frum but he acts it and it means he won't go anywhere with me and even going somewhere chol hamoed is a whole convincing situation where he tries getting out of it (and usually succeeds)

Gosh And we don't go on vacation because I think shlepping kids away from home is too much work with car seats and pack n plays and food issues and all.

Oh wait.... totally irrelevant comment for this thread, just like yours.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 1:28 am
amother wrote:
Quote:
I just wanna say that it's not how much money you have that decides how much you'll go on vacation. Dh and I have been married 2 1/2 years and we have only gone on vacation, once for half a week plus one other night, another time. We can definitely afford a full out vacation but dh is too frum to go anywhere:( he doesn't look too frum but he acts it and it means he won't go anywhere with me and even going somewhere chol hamoed is a whole convincing situation where he tries getting out of it (and usually succeeds)

Gosh And we don't go on vacation because I think shlepping kids away from home is too much work with car seats and pack n plays and food issues and all.

Oh wait.... totally irrelevant comment for this thread, just like yours.

Like my mother says when I kvetch about my cleaning lady "The problems of the rich Rolling Eyes "

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 4:42 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
Honestly where are you getting statistics that frum Jews are wealthy? I think that most of them would fall into the middle class category, which is not considered wealthy? I'm super confused here. Frankly I try to stay out of these conversations because I think that an income of 1 million a year is upper middle class, but I don't see where someone is taking these statistics from... is it an opinion or what?

I believe we once went through this. 1 million a year is not upper middle class. That is wealthy. In fact, only 15% of Americans make $100,000 or more.

L25

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 7:03 am
scrabble where do you get your numbers from?
according to wikipedia who quotes Department of Labor Statistics (2014):
middle class is 95-140,000 household income. upper middle class- 135,000-600,000. Remember this is per household which can have two working parents. Honestly the numbers are higher then I thought.

TwinsMommy

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 7:55 am
95,000 STARTS middle class? Great, we're not even in the middle class! And yet we're not on food stamps/ welfare so I figured we weren't considered lower class, so what are we? wait for it.... Classless! Smile

L25

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 8:08 am
there's also lower middle class...my point was addressed to scrabble that 1 million is NOT middle class. there were also different ways to measure, I think other ways had lower numbers....

amother

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 8:14 am
mommy2b2c wrote:
I believe we once went through this. 1 million a year is not upper middle class. That is wealthy. In fact, only 15% of Americans make $100,000 or more.

I can't believe that it's only 15%, because then me and most of my friends make that (with both spouses working) and we're still very tight, with only a few kids between us (I only have 1 right now). And we're at the start of our careers and God willing will only go up from here. I mean, $100k/year with both parents working is about a $50k salary each, which is a pretty bottom starting salary for an adult with a family.

15% of Americans making $100k+/year seems like a very very very low percentage.

Barbara

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 10:32 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
Honestly where are you getting statistics that frum Jews are wealthy? I think that most of them would fall into the middle class category, which is not considered wealthy? I'm super confused here. Frankly I try to stay out of these conversations because I think that an income of 1 million a year is upper middle class, but I don't see where someone is taking these statistics from... is it an opinion or what?

Household income of $1,000,000 per year places a family in the 99.5th percentile of all filers in the US (99th percentile among married filers).

Barbara

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 10:37 am
amother wrote:
I can't believe that it's only 15%, because then me and most of my friends make that (with both spouses working) and we're still very tight, with only a few kids between us (I only have 1 right now). And we're at the start of our careers and God willing will only go up from here. I mean, $100k/year with both parents working is about a $50k salary each, which is a pretty bottom starting salary for an adult with a family.

15% of Americans making $100k+/year seems like a very very very low percentage.

Its individual salary.

The 85th percentile for a married couple is about $165,000.

But please. The "bottom starting salary"? The minimum wage in NY is $8.75 per hour. For a full time job, that's $18,200 per year.

We all need to check our privilege at the door, and understand the way many people have to live.
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics