Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Affordable housing in central NJ?

amother

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 11:48 am
I live in Queens NY right now, but we're thinking of moving in 2-3 years to a different place, possibly NJ. Not sure yet if we'd be renting or actually buying a house, but I'd like to know where is the most affordable (cheaper) housing in central NJ? I'm talking around Teaneck, Tenafly, Lakewood...since those places have larger jewish communities. Also, how's the yeshivas tuition? If we move in 3 years, my son would start elementary school. Of course I'd love my kids to continue going to jewish schools, but who knows if we'll be able to survive with our incomes. I did hear that in Tenafly they have the best public schools, but the housings are expensive.

nyer1

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 12:06 pm
I don't know where you got the idea that teaneck is affordable. as far as I understand, it is VERY expensive.

without knowing much about u, I would look into Edison/Highland park, or Elizabeth/Hillside.

some of these areas may have affordable houses, but keep in mind, if you are planning to purchase, NJ is notorious for having some of the highest property taxes in the country.

example. we looked at a house in Elizabeth for 375k, brand new construction, but taxes are 16k. needless to say, we ended up elsewhere.

nyer1

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 12:07 pm
nyer1 wrote:
I don't know where you got the idea that teaneck is affordable. as far as I understand, it is VERY expensive.

without knowing much about u, I would look into Edison/Highland park, or Elizabeth/Hillside.

some of these areas may have affordable houses, but keep in mind, if you are planning to purchase, NJ is notorious for having some of the highest property taxes in the country. teaneck is known to have UPWARDS of 15k per year.

example. we looked at a house in Elizabeth for 375k, brand new construction, but taxes are 16k. needless to say, we ended up elsewhere.

doctorima

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 12:16 pm
I would cross Lakewood off your list. Even if you can find affordable housing, it doesn't like the type of community that would be a good fit for you. I'd second the suggestion of Edison/Highland Park, and I would add Passaic/Clifton, which has a very large community, very close to the city, and a range of housing prices available.

But as others have mentioned, property taxes will be shockingly high to you anywhere you go in NJ. While you're in the planning stages, I'd suggest trying to visit some of these places for a Shabbos/weekend to get a sense of what feels like the best fit for your family.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 12:18 pm
amother wrote:
I live in Queens NY right now, but we're thinking of moving in 2-3 years to a different place, possibly NJ. Not sure yet if we'd be renting or actually buying a house, but I'd like to know where is the most affordable (cheaper) housing in central NJ? I'm talking around Teaneck, Tenafly, Lakewood...since those places have larger jewish communities. Also, how's the yeshivas tuition? If we move in 3 years, my son would start elementary school. Of course I'd love my kids to continue going to jewish schools, but who knows if we'll be able to survive with our incomes. I did hear that in Tenafly they have the best public schools, but the housings are expensive.

None of those places are in Central Jersey. Well, I guess that Lakewood is at least arguably in Central Jersey. Central Jersey is, eg, New Brunswick or Edison.

sima

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 2:24 pm
I find Teaneck notoriously expensive and the public schools are not great from what I've seen/read, and the Jewish schools are a fortune. Lakewood might me more affordable. In the end I don't think you'd be saving over Queens....... Just my 2cents
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating