Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Do people pay to be featured in Binah or any other publicati
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 11:39 am
I was once interviewed in Ami (cover story)!! I don't advertise there, though my aunt is the editor! (hence anon).

First of all the only business call I got from there was someone trying to get referral to themselves! And of course all family members noticed!!

For those of you arguing about Voice of Lkwd policies I know that the Lakewood Shpper pitched an advertising package to me and included an article submission as part of the package. It wouldn't be called 'communicated' either.

debsey

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 1:26 pm
I have written for Binah, Mishpacha, and various small publications. I find Binah to have the highest editorial standards. I know for a fact that certain alternative health people offered money to be profiled in Binah and Binah turned them down flat, saying that it would not be responsible to portray this as an unbiased story. That being said "Shochad Ya'aver Eyney Chachamim" - when you are being paid by someone it creates a certain sense of obligation.

In terms of who is being quoted, I'm not a features writer, but it's usually someone who is willing to provide a quote at the 11th hour. Meaning, writer gets story Monday. It's about tutoring kids for Judaic subjects using a multisensory approach. She calls people she knows or says to the editor - do you know anyone I can interview? I can see the editor saying "Well, Rabbi X advertises for us, he seems approachable, why not call him?" But it's more of an accessibility/ease of approach thing than a conscious choice to promote the business. Usually, features like that are assigned on Monday and they want it Wednesday, and they need it researched, written, quote- and fact- checked by five minutes ago - so there's often not a ton of time. Using a "known quantity" sometimes just cuts down on the time it takes to get a camera ready article.

You get three sorts of people willing to provide a quote - the passionate, the extremely well-informed, and the desperate. The passionate people will talk to you about their topic whenever, however, whatever - because they are so in love with what they do, they want to change the world. For example, suppose someone has come up with what they consider THE method for teaching Gemarah to Learning Disabled fifth grade boys, or THE perfect diet or THE best recipes for gluten free people - they will talk to whomever, whenever, because it's their MISSION.

You get the extremely well-informed, like the Dr. Pelcovitzes of the world - who you can call at any time for a quote and you'll get an instantly usable quote and the person didn't even have to think. Great if you can get through.

You get the desperate who are willing to PAY you for you using their quote. It will take them 10 hours to formulate it. Those are often the "coaches" or the "MSW candidates" who THINK they are at the level of the extremely well-informed, but are just so desperate to get their names out there. The first year lawyers, the accounting students, the brand new business - those people will GLADLY give you a quote, but the writer has to be careful to verify that what they are saying is true.

NOW, none of this applies to the free things you get in the Bagel store or mailed to you. Those are shamelessly shilling for their advertisers, no question.

sky

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 1:45 pm
About every other week the Voice Of Lakewood's feature cover store says Advertorial or communicated. I haven't felt like they hide that fact, unless I missed some of them.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 1:52 pm
I pitched a story to Binah about this fabulous woman who happens to have a business. The story was about this woman, not about her business per se (although that was a part of her life story, of course). So they wanted the story, I spent a long time interviewing her and writing it up, and then I get this email from her saying Binah had contacted her asking if she wants to place an ad in the issue her story would be featured in. I was really embarrassed. She did go ahead and place the ad, but it felt tacky to me that they had asked. So I guess if you see ads in the magazine that "just happen" to tie in to the articles, it might look like someone paid to be interviewed but really it was Binah encouraging them to advertise after the fact.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 4:08 pm
amother above. agree completely.

persons I know featured in an article were suggested to place ad before they even agreed to do the article. debsey - as a writer for all the magazines as well - I must disagree with your statement that Binah has the "highest editorial standards." I can verify that they are the most lenient in their research. they go with whom/what they know - not what is best or accurate.

anon to protect my identity as a writer.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 8:33 pm
debsey wrote:
I don't know who you are - you're amother - but I know for a fact that this is false.

I'm sorry maybe you misunderstood me. I didn't mean that whenever the voice quotes a professional in an article like a parenting teacher, the professional paid to be interviewed. I mean that they will not run a "spotlight " article without charging.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room