Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn sleep schedule, please help!

BHYY

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 7:36 pm
I have a yummy 3 week old girl baruch hashem. She mixes up day and night. Sleeps deeply through the day and is up at night. I am still a kimpeturin and cant get back to myself without the night sleep. Anyone have any experience or ideas on changing back her schedule? im desperate! thanx

MMCH

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 7:51 pm
mazel tov!!
I hope you are feeling well, and getting adjusted to new baby.

some tricks and tips I've learned from my kids, is from a very young age, to make very clear distinctions and separations between day and night.
for example- during the day, have baby's room/area well lit, with open shades, open lights, maybe even a drop noisy (not like deafening, but slight murmurs)
if you swaddle (which I strongly recommend for most babies) have them only swaddled at night
and start a bedtime routine, thats only dedicated for night time , like every night bath/ and pj's read a book in darker room, softer tones, and say shema. try to do this every night at the same time so baby learns routine and anticipates whats coming.
Obviously in such a young infant, who sleeps most of the day either way, it won't happen so quickly. but slowly, baby should get used to it.
good luck.

pesek zman

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 8:26 pm
Lots of great books out there. Check out Babywise, Baby 411, Happy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child. good luck!

imasinger

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 8:37 pm
You don't have to always let sleeping babies lie.

During the day, you can limit her to 2 hour naps, then, wake her, pick her up, change her, feed her, interact with her.

Try to offer her more milk from 7:30 on, so that she will "tank up" for a longer stretch.

At night, it's business only, no attention, little eye contact or sound, just diaper if needed, eat and back to sleep.

Be sure to try to sleep during the day (set an alarm if you have to, so that you both don't go too long). It's tempting to use that naptime for activities for yourself, and the temptation will be greater once you are home.

Mazel tov on your yummy little one!

rosebunch

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 8:50 pm
Agree with posts above. I kept my baby on a rigid three hour feeding schedule. I woke him to the three hours during the day for meals. If he was very sleepy, I'd try to bathe him or change his diaper so he woke up. After several attempts, it BH worked and with time, he would wake up on his own to the three hours.
Also, try to place baby in a swing or infant seat for naps during the day and the crib at night so she'll differentiate btwn daytime naps and night long stretch sleep.
Mazel tov and good luck!

raich

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 9:14 pm
There's a great book called "Twelve Hours Sleep by Twelve Weeks Old" by Suzy Giordano and Lisa Abidin that is fantastic. It isn't a quick fix--you need to work her program, but it's great at getting the baby to gradually learn to sleep through the night. She's not into the "cry it out" method but rather helping the baby learn to comfort herself and put herself back to sleep on her own. I highly recommend this book!

BHYY

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 9:26 pm
Thank you all for the great advice! To those who said I should wake her during the day, its very hard because she sleeps very deep, like its night. And at night she laughs and looks around with huge eyes.. doesnt cry bh.

rosebunch

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 10:08 pm
[quote="clintonhillhq"]Thank you all for the great advice! To those who said I should wake her during the day, its very hard because she sleeps very deep, like its night. And at night she laughs and looks around with huge eyes.. doesnt cry bh.[/quote
That's why I recommended you wake her by giving her a bath or changing a diaper which should help her stay awake.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics