Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Marrying A Niece
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 10:34 am
gold21 wrote:
LOL!
It was really funny to look over this thread. How old was I in 2010?
24?
Cute.

By the way, I still find uncle-niece marriages awkward, if only because it's so foreign to me....I really loved having a close relationship with my uncles growing up... but they're much older than me...

Well, I think therein lies the difference. I've noticed that it's difficult for someone who doesn't have an uncle their age to understand. No, I did not marry my uncle but, after discussing it with several people over the years, have come to the conclusion that only those in the boat understand .

gold21

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 12:38 pm
I hear ya

JewishMommyNYC

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 12:47 pm
I have an uncle who's younger than me and I love him like a little brother!! I just couldn't imagine being intimate with my mothers brother or my fathers brother. I mean, is this really what we are discussing? Nieces and uncles? I don't see how it is ok but that is only my opinion and everyone else is entitled to their own input on the matter.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 2:09 pm
JewishMommyNYC wrote:
I have an uncle who's younger than me and I love him like a little brother!! I just couldn't imagine being intimate with my mothers brother or my fathers brother. I mean, is this really what we are discussing?

Beats me. You want to read the last 8 pages and let us know? Tongue Out

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 4:41 pm
[quote="MommyLuv"]what about aunt and nephew?[/quote] - That is assur, although it says in the pshat that Yocheved (mother of Moshe) was Amram's (father of Moshe's) husband - but they had not received the Torah yet.

Marrying within the family = a big no-no. I have an uncle who married a fourth cousin who was from a different country, and let me say, when they broke up it was a sh*tstorm! Lots of people are no longer on speaking terms (though, for the record, she cheated on him then moved to Dubai, so it was a complicated situation).

silbergirl

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 3:04 am
My paternal grandparents were 2nd cousins (which was very common among their circles). My mother blames all my father's ideosyncrasies on that (her parents were not closely related). Smile lol.

Metukah

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 4:57 am
Wow. This is an old thread revived. I just want to point out that it wasn't rabbeinu Gershom that forbade 2 sisters marrying 2 brothers. (Rabbeinu Gershom forbade 2 wives). It was actually Reb Yehuda Hachossid. He wrote it in his will along with many other things. Many people don't allow 2 sisters to marry 2 brothes; following Reb Yehuda Hachossid, but they don't keep the other things he wrote.

Metukah

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 5:00 am
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com......html

mazal555

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:22 am
I don't understand the outrage. We have a standard of what is moral. It's called the Torah. And BTW the majority opinion is that rivka was 3 years after her bat mitzvah, therefore 15, not 3 years after her birth. Which makes sense because who would count 20 years of infertility on a 23 year old? It makes a lot more sense that she was 35 when they said she had been infertile 20 years.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:31 am
My great grandfather was an orphan. His father died during pregnancy and mother not long after his birth. The baby was taken to his uncles house (father's only sibling - brother) who raised him. He married off his nephew to his daughter. They were cousins raised together. Had a large family who were wiped out during the war except for my grandfather.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:38 am
According to minhag chabad, if two brothers marry two sisters, they should not live in the same "city".

I have a classmate who's younger sister married his younger brother. They didn't want to move to different cities as they were both from the same community. they asked a Rav who advised them that one should move just outside the community. One is just past the northern boundary and the other is just within the southern boundary. Kids go to same school and look so similar they could pass as siblings.
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics