Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
16 month old Weaning Advice?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 1:09 am
Please help mr figure out how to wean my 16 month old. I'd like to use a quicker method.

She BH eats solids and drinks but still nurses some by day. She wants to nurse before bed time first t hing in the morning and during the night. She wakes to nurse about 3-4 hrs after bedtime and after that every 2 hrs or so. She is very insistent about it. Gets very upset if my husband goes to her (although there have been times here and there when I was out and she was happy to be tucked in by him although the next night that wouldn't fly anymore). When she sees me it's game over she gets hysterical if I don't nurse her and if I try just to cuddle she lifts up my shirt or climbs over me to change sides. BH this kid knows what she likes and I find it adorable and so sweet but just can't handle the sleep deprivation anymore. Advice and experiences would be very helpful!

If you cut out certain feedings by day or night could you please include how you did it and how your child reacted. Thank you!

mama g

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 3:30 pm
This is probably not the most healthy advice, but this worked for me when I was desperately trying to wean one of my daughters who just would NOT stop wanting to nurse and I was so sleep deprived that I couldn't be a good mom anymore... I would give her chocolate almond milk (our family has a history of not tolerating dairy, and have all been fine with nuts, so this was my choice. She was 23 months and eating lots of solids at the time). She loved chocolate milk, so around the times she would ask to nurse, I would preemptively hand her a small bottle of it. Gradually I diluted it more and more with the regular unsweetened almond milk until she didn't get chocolate at all anymore. But by then she had forgotten about nursing anyway.

I'm sure someone else may have a better method Smile. Best of luck with whatever you do!

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 9:03 am
I'd love to wean my 18 month old as well. It's not going. he's become addicted. Sigh.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics