Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toilet training 29 mo girl

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:15 pm
Advice on how to toilet train a 29 mo girl? How long did it take you? How did you deal with naps and going to the playground? How many pairs of underwear should I be prepared with?

Is it true that if you're planning to toilet train at this age you have to turn their crib into a toddler bed so they can go at night? It seems early to me for her to be able to go at night on her own. But I did hear of people who leave a potty in the bedroom for a younger child just not sure how soon after day training night training happens and what's realistic for a child this age. Or do they need to be carried to the bathroom half asleep for a while?

As a side note I believe she's ready because she definitely understands when she made a wet or dirty diaper but doesn't say it in advance. Also she doesn't enjoy being changed anymore.

Thank u.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 11:35 pm
Stock up on mops and carpet cleaner! I trained DD in a week, by letting her go around in skirts - without any underpants. She HATED getting wet, and she definitely felt it running down her legs.

She would wake up in the middle of the night when she had to go, but she'd still be half asleep and not know why she was awake. I would put her on the toilet, and then back to bed, and she never really woke up fully.

I think she was 99% trained by the time she was 3, and completely dry at night shortly after that.

In any case, all kids are different.

chani8

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 1:48 am
You need to get a shitta then stick with it. Put her in new panties. Part of potty training is that she needs to learn to take her panties up and down anyway.

I train in three days. Lots of drinking, stay indoors near the toilet. Wear new undies. I train traumatized kids and they need a little more help. For instance, they need to see other kids using the toilet, too. If you can get another child to help, it's great. Peer support is the best potty trainer. Books are good, too. Gross, but helpful.

As far as night time, in general, people don't just pee in the night. We need to pee right away when we wake up, though. So be there for her in the morning before she wakes up, to get her to the potty on time. OTOH, I have no problem with a child staying in diapers at night for as long as they need. Some kids just 'let go' in the night because of stress, because night is when they finally relax and then 'oops' they pee. No need to sleep in pee. No shame in needing a diaper either. Give her three times to get night training right, if not, forget it for awhile.

The biggest issue with knowing if your child is truly trained or not, is pooping. Until she actually poops in the potty, she's not really trained. Once she is comfortable pooping in the potty, it's easy from there. Again, peer support helps. If someone else will show her that they pooped in the potty, she'll relax about it. Gross, but very effective.

Of course, never ever let the child see that you are grossed out by any of this. Smile and be positive. Be reassuring. Be hopeful. Make it normal. Not necessarily fun or all that big of a deal, just normal and healthy and good.

Catcher

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 5:09 am
Oy for one terrible moment I read the subject and thought it was about toilet training a 29 yr old modern orthodox girl shock embarrassed
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics