Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Shocked niece's school does not teach about potifar's wife
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

mazal555

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 4:58 pm
None of this was glossed over at all when I was a kid. We didn't know what the actual act was but we knew that a lot of people in the Tanach were doing it.

malkacooks

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 10:02 am
I remember my teacher skipping over the story of shlomo and the queen of sheeba. still not sure why...

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:28 am
Raisin wrote:
Pilegesh b'givah - a Levi was travelling with his pilegesh (concubine). They stopped in Givaah. A townsperson puts them up. the other townspeople surround the house, demanding to rape the Levi. Instead, he gives them his pilegesh instead. They rape her until morning. The next morning the levi finds her dead, cuts her up into 12 pieces and sends each piece to each shevet. This leads to war with binyamin.

It only gets worse from there. Binyamin kills 40,000 men. The other tribes kill 25,000 Binyami men, only leaving 600 alive. What happened to the women, children, and men too old to fight isn't mentioned during the war, but after the war there aren't any women for the survivors to marry, the women of Binyamin have "been destroyed", and the other tribes vowed to not let their daughters marry men from Binyamin.

Then one village that didn't participate in this tragedy is located. Give them a reward? No, kill everyone but the virgin women (just like in the war with Midian in the Chumash), and marry the orphans to the surviving Binyaminim. But there still weren't enough women, so the rest of the Binyaminim were told to go to the festival where women danced (on Tu B'Av) and grab wives (did anyone ask the women if they wanted to marry into a tribe that had gone to war instead of bringing rapists and murderers to justice?).

Also, isn't it wonderful how the corrective action for nearly killing an entire tribe is nearly killing an entire village?

Anyone who would like to read this for themselves can find it at this link, also read the next two chapters.
http://www.chabad.org/library/.....=true
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics