Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Staying in hotel over Shabbos with NOWHERE to go!!!!!!

amother

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 8:09 pm
I need some suggestions to help keep my very hyperactive 7 y.o. ds from going crazy this Shabbos!! He generally complains about Shabbos b/c he can't go on the computer. This Shabbos we will be staying in a hotel in a town where there is absolutely nothing doing Jewishly- no shul, no shomer Shabbos families, nada. It will be very cold where we will be, so we can't even go to the park or for a long walk. I bought a TON of treats that I never usually allow him to have for him to look forward to, and of course we will bring some games to play, but does anyone have any other suggestions? TIA

oliveoil

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 8:22 pm
bundle well and go out for a few short walks/runs throughout the day

oliveoil

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 8:23 pm
oh, and bring a game like twister that will get him moving.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 8:23 pm
Is there a library nearby that you could walk to?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 8:31 pm
I would use the Shabbos as an opportunity to show him how beautiful and peaceful Shabbos can be. Maybe daven together singing songs out loud , then discuss the pasha and find a way to make it different than your normal pasha routine ,like acting out a scene or going into depth with mefarshim on one detail. After lunch , instead of napping, I would take out the board games or cards. Do this as a family and it can be a lot of fun. Some hotels even have board games you could borrow and a nice fireplace you could play in front of. Shabbos is pretty short and before you know it , you and he will be sad that it's over.
If you are not a family starved for Family alone time and your Shabbos is usually family bonding time , then I would pretend Shabbos is a great big adventure and see what can be discovered when not in your natural habitat.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 8:38 pm
I would bring some action figures because hyperactive kids love those.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 8:43 pm
Make a schedule together. Having a structure helps kids, especially hyperactive ones. Knowing that there is a plan can help prevent the "I'm soo booored" song from getting started.

Some other ideas: a really long board game, turning the tables and chairs covered with blankets into an obstacle course/yam suf, doing kid yoga, teaching him how to do front and back somersaults on the bed, reading a good book out loud together.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 8:43 pm
Bring a biiiiig supply of papers, white and colors too, and scotch tape, and a blunt scissors (or two, one may get lost) and a few magazines to cut up, and make collages with. (Perhaps markers are not a good idea.)

Or a few markers well supervised.

Drawing takes time and everybody loves it.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 8:46 pm
Dolly - I think she said this was on Shabbos.

Also, consider "where's Waldo" or "I spy" books for less engaged/competent readers.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 8:48 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Bring a biiiiig supply of papers, white and colors too, and scotch tape, and a blunt scissors (or two, one may get lost) and a few magazines to cut up, and make collages with. (Perhaps markers are not a good idea.)

Or a few markers well supervised.

Drawing takes time and everybody loves it.

For shabbos? Wink

Lots of games. Explore the hotel. Long hallways are good to play mother may I and red light green light. It's hard.

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 10:20 pm
Does he like building toys? Maybe a new or favorite building toy. Kids who are into those, even the generally very hyperactive ones, can be busy for a while with clics or legos or the like, and then play action games with whatever they've made.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 10:37 pm
Ah sorry. Shabbos. I messed up there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note