Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Deep Fryer for Pesach--Good Idea or not?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 4:40 pm
Wondering if anyone here has this. Pesach is really the only time I actually fry, and sometimes in big batches.

Can somebody please tell me what are the pros and cons of using a deep fryer versus a regular pot? Does it use less oil? Can you reuse oil? Can you do more at a time?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 4:45 pm
I've considered buying a deep fat fryer but after reading the reviews I decided against it. Most of the fryers don't reach the proper temps for successful deep fat frying.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 4:57 pm
also keep in mind that you're limited in how many days you can use an electric fryer, whereas a pot you can use every day except shabbos.

elisheva25

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 4:59 pm
I don't know about pesach, but I like my deep fryer . So far I've only used it for fries... But you get the most heavenly homemade fries in minutes . I am sure other things come out great too.

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 5:42 pm
Before buying ANY appliance for Pesach, consider storage. Where are you going to keep this thing? Unless you have an unusually large allotment of Pesach storage space, anything you buy must fully earn its keep. If you feed a family of 10 and fry two meals a day every day then it might be worth it. Maybe. Not necessarily.

For health reasons, you should not reuse frying oil.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 5:46 pm
I have a non electric fryer for pesach. It is a regular pot with a wire basket with a handle. Great for making fries, but to be honest I only use it once or twice on chol hamoed. I would never want a real fryer, they use a ton of oil.

mommyofboygirls

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 7:17 pm
I do not do a ton of frying but I am thankful I "splurged" (it was only $30) and got a deep fryer. You need more oil but you can filter it once it is cool and reuse the oil. DH is a chemical engineer and he tells me that deep frying, although not healthy by any means, is better than shallow frying because when the whole item is submerged it absorbs less of the oil by creating some sort of barrier of water molecules..if I remember correctly...it was something like that.

I have a cheap, $30-ish Presto one with a metal basket. It is electric. I love it. Actually, it is this one, I'm pretttty sure, so apparently it is also a steamer. Good to know as I've been wondering if I could use it as a steamer. Pretty cheap at Walmart. It is called: Presto Kitchen Kettle Multi-Cooker Steamer.

Could you please tell me what fried things you make on Pesach? I am trying to plan for meals and snacks, myself.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 7:51 pm
We use our deep fryer regularly during the year, but use a large pot and slotted spoon for frying at Pesach time.

What do we fry? I deep fry schitzel in almond; cauliflower and/or mushrooms in egg and matzah meal (add salt and parley flakes, sometimes a bit of pepper and garlic powder to the meal); and sometimes, on chol hamoed, I make fries to go with burgers on pesach rolls and hot dogs.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:07 pm
Op here.

Thanks for the responses, mixed as they are.....

Storage is not an issue for me. If it is ok to reuse oil then I guess the fact that it uses a lot would not be an issue either.

Can you fry more in it at a time, for example schnitzel?

Also, for some reason I was under the impression that they might be dangerous, like they can explode chas veshalom. Anyone know anything about that?

For the poster who asked what I fry on Pesach Shnitzel, onions, French fries, veggie fries, chicken etc.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 11:12 pm
If what you put in the fryer is too wet, and the temp is too high, then yes, it will pop and spatter like crazy.

A commercial electric fryer has a built in control that keeps it from getting too hot, for safety. With a pot, you can get it way too hot and risk a fire or grease explosion. (BTDT Sad , nearly burned the kitchen down.)

I love my little Fry Daddy. It's the perfect size, and never gets too hot. I made the most amazing fried potatoes for dinner tonight.

Get small, waxy potatoes. Microwave until just tender (no need to peel them first). Cool a bit and slice thick, you'll get about 3 slices per potato. Deep fry and drain on a paper towel set on top of a brown grocery bag to absorb the extra salt. Sprinkle on coarse sea salt or season salt.

They'll be delicately crunchy on the outside, and fluffy as a feather pillow on the inside!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics