Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to approach teacher about an unfair grade?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 8:27 pm
My high schooler's report card just came out online tonight, and she got a lower-than-expected grade in one subject. She has been having issues with this teacher and I think the teacher graded her unfairly. How should I approach? Should I involve the principal?

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 8:39 pm
You have a fabulous opportunity here.

It's the chance to model and assist in one of life's vital lessons.

The lesson that we have to be self-reliant.

Don't blow this opportunity by swooping down in your helicopter and getting involved.

Coach her to ask the teacher what she could do to improve her grade. Tell your DD that life sometimes isn't fair, and accepting the petty drawbacks with grace is more important to you than any A she could earn. You expect her to work hard to improve things, but will be proud of her no matter what, just because she is trying to do what is right.

You will be glad in the end if you can grit your teeth and do this, no matter how much your heart is hurting over the unfairness.

morah

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 8:44 pm
I can tell you from the perspective of a teacher: don't go in guns blazing. You want to have a productive conversation. We don't come up with grades out of the blue. I, and most teachers I know, have complicated spreadsheets for calculating grades and taking all sorts of things into account. Ask the teacher how s/he came up with the grade: "I am surprised/disappointed about Rivky's grade. Could you please explain how that happened, so we can figure out how she can bring it up in the coming semester?". You may be surprised- perhaps there were some missing homeworks, or, since you say there were "issues" (though you don't specify what), maybe her behavior in class dinged her grade a bit. The grade may not be as unfair as you think once the teacher has the chance to show what went into the calculation. If you are still not satisfied, keep asking questions. If you feel like you're being stonewalled or that the teacher is, in fact, being egregiously unfair, then I would involve someone in the administration (though not necessarily the principal, at least not yet; believe me, the principal is going to be dealing with a lot of unhappy parents this week).

ETA: I think Imasinger is right that it is best if your daughter asks first, but that depends on what the issues are, and also, her age. If she is in 9th grade, I wouldn't put her up to it alone, but 10th and up, then, yes, she should try to start the conversation herself.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 9:04 pm
I think ur approach really depends on why u feel the grade is unfair. Is it a flat at no-brainer unfair grade? Is it a questionably low grade? Was ur daughters average higher than her report card grade? What are the circumstances here???

nyer1

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 10:43 pm
you DON'T approach the teacher.
your HIGH SCHOOL student should be able to request a meeting with the teacher to review the grades received and to get an explanation of how they were averaged together to form the grade. after that, not much to do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics