Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Thinking About Getting a New Computer

luppamom

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 3:08 pm
My computer is not doing well and I am thinking of getting a new one. I am looking for recommendations.

I don't need anything fancy. Just s/t w/ Microsoft Word, Chrome, Internet Explorer and can upload pictures/videos from my camera. I don't care about the weight, as my comp. usually stays at home. I do want s/t w/ good battery life as my last battery completely died and I had to keep the comp. plugged in - annoying!

I am also interested in hearing laptop vs. desktop discussions. Is there any reason I should get a desktop? I don't have a lot of space, but if it has some intrinsic value, I'd think of it.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 3:16 pm
You need to figure out which features you absolutely must have and which are optional.

All laptop batteries eventually die, most are replaceable.

If you need tons of storage, or high speed, or a touchscreen, or any of the dozens of features of today's laptops, start with that. There are sites that can help you narrow down your choices. Is price an issue? What about brand? Do you care how up-to-date the model is?

I personally prefer hybrid laptop/tablets for portability and for use as an e-reader. I had laptops in the past and they weren't small enough.

I think the main differences between laptops and desktops are the specific options available for each. For example desktop screens can be huge while laptops are limited in size. With a desktop you can get any keyboard while laptops come with one attached, often not very easy to type on. Same with sound quality.

As I said, once you know what you need in a computer you can find one that meets your needs.

luppamom

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 3:27 pm
youngishbear wrote:
You need to figure out which features you absolutely must have and which are optional.

All laptop batteries eventually die, most are replaceable.

If you need tons of storage, or high speed, or a touchscreen, or any of the dozens of features of today's laptops, start with that. There are sites that can help you narrow down your choices. Is price an issue? What about brand? Do you care how up-to-date the model is?

I personally prefer hybrid laptop/tablets for portability and for use as an e-reader. I had laptops in the past and they weren't small enough.

I think the main differences between laptops and desktops are the specific options available for each. For example desktop screens can be huge while laptops are limited in size. With a desktop you can get any keyboard while laptops come with one attached, often not very easy to type on. Same with sound quality.

As I said, once you know what you need in a computer you can find one that meets your needs.

Thank you! I don't need very much. I work from my computer, but do not need any fancy graphics. Just internet (Internet Explorer). I use Excel a bit for work. I would also like to have a whole Microsoft package just in case.

I don't care about the weight and I don't care if it's the latest model. I just care that it should last. The computer I'm currently using (w/ problems) is almost 3.5 yrs. old. I would like s/t that's going to last a few yrs. (I think 3 yrs. is reasonable)

I do like to store pictures and files, so would like a lot of memory. Laptop mouses and keyboards don't usually bother me. I adapt fast.

If anyone has any recommendations or advice, please advise. Otherwise as youngish said, I will probably start researching.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 3:40 pm
So you need a laptop, probably 15 inch or more, that runs microsoft windows.

Be aware windows 8 and 8.1 has a whole new confusing system which is great for touchscreen tablets but not what you need. You can either choose a laptop with windows 7, or buy any laptop and up or downgrade to windows 7. If you do get windows 8 (which makes sense for the long term since microsoft gives more support for later versions of their software) you can ask the programmer or whoever sets it up for you to disable the "metro" part of the system. They will know what you mean...

Look for high storage capacity. Do you know how much memory your old laptop has? How full was it? Where is all the information now? Do you plan to transfer it to the new laptop?

Another point, you might have to pay separately for microsoft office (which includes word, excel, outlook, powerpoint, etc.) Sometimes the software is offered for free with the laptop purchase, but look out for it.

Also, some of the newer laptops are ultrabooks, which don't come with optical drives (cd or dvd). Read the specs carefully, and ask any questions. I'll try to help.

Good luck and happy hunting.

A pity you missed black friday sales...

BTW dan's deals often posts good deals on laptops.

imaima

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 3:44 pm
I have had a macbook for 5 years now. I have google chrome and microsoft office installed on it because I'm used to them and find them easier. Otherwise I am really happy with Apple.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 5:33 pm
http://www.dansdeals.com/archi.....om%29

Note this has 500 gb memory, but you can find a terabyte which is double that. For more money, obviously.

OP, apple products work best with other apple products. I hate them but to each their own.

srbmom

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 5:37 pm
Look into a google chromebook. For regular general use they seem to be a great value. I second the downgrading to windows 7 if possible and microsoft office is usually an independent purchase nowadays from a computer. Unless you want to try Open Office - the free knockoff.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 5:45 pm
Can a chromebook have microsoft word on it? And decent memory storage? And what about optical drive for dvd?

Just wondering. I never looked into them because they seemed so limited.

srbmom

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 7:10 pm
I don't have a chromebook, but have started looking into getting one for my DH

Don't know all the details, but I'm pretty sure they have Microsoft apps - not sure if it's a full version or not - and you may need to be online to use them. You can also use the Google apps in place of Word, Excel...

I think you get something like 1TB of storage on the Google drive - which is more than you will ever need - but again you need online access

No DVD drive

Not sure what your primary uses are - but if it's mostly for surfing the net and entertainment - they have amazing reviews

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 7:21 pm
I thought so.

Basically chromebooks are a portal to the web, with nothing substantial in them. Online storage is a good thing, but I heard Google drive doesn't save pictures in high quality format. I would research that first.

srbmom

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 8:18 pm
Quote:
but I heard Google drive doesn't save pictures in high quality format

If you have a Google+ account you can upload pictures in full resolution
There are also tons of other online storage options to suit many needs

Again, a Chromebook is not for everyone. But they do have a ton of benefits avoiding many of the problems with Windows and the sticker shock of a Mac. I was just suggesting it as something to look into.

luppamom

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 2:04 am
youngishbear wrote:
I thought so.

Basically chromebooks are a portal to the web, with nothing substantial in them. Online storage is a good thing, but I heard Google drive doesn't save pictures in high quality format. I would research that first.

OP here. My DH has a chrome book and we both hate it. He s/t needs complex equations and he says google's version of Word doesn't do it. He also has special programming software he needs- can't be done on Chrome Book. It also is impossible to install a filter. I called Vinishmartem and they said they don't have anything. I know there are some hacks, but DH doesn't feel comfortable doing anything unless it's straight forward.

I need Internet Explorer which Chrome Book doesn't have. So, it's definitely not a good option for me, even though it's cheap and light-which I like. (Although, I'd love to take DHs computer and get him s/t else as he often has to use my computer even though he has his own.)

luppamom

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 2:08 am
youngishbear wrote:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/60331?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Dansdeals+%28DansDeals.com%29

Note this has 500 gb memory, but you can find a terabyte which is double that. For more money, obviously.

OP, apple products work best with other apple products. I hate them but to each their own.

I also hate Apple, but it's probably b/c I am not used to them as I've heard great things. Overall, I am much more used to Windows. This computer looks interesting. Is it new or used? It mentions s/t about ebay. I have no idea of how Dan's Deals works.

I also like the idea of downgrading to Windows 7. I've seen Windows 8 and felt utterly confused. Windows 7 should do everything I need.

luppamom

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 6:47 am
UPDATE: Computer crashed had to get a computer quick! Ended up getting an Aspire E11. I think it's competing w/ Chrome Book. It's small and light, but it has all the Windows stuff which is good for me b/c I work on Explorer. I haven't used it enough to give it a full report, but I think it's in the same price range as the Chrome Book. So far, I do feel like the Chrome Book is faster, but the CB doesn't really have an operating system... I feel much more comfortable on this.

BE"H I hope this computer stays healthy and is productive (or I am productive on it Smile)

happybeingamom

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 7:28 am
Enjoy your new computer!

I had to get a new computer and was scared of windows 8. Well I am using windows 8 and it is fine. Took some tutorials on Lynda.com (free if you have a Brooklyn Library card) and was good to go.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 5:26 pm
http://m.staples.com/touch/pro.....89315

Thought of you when it was posted on dansdeals today.

ETA: never mind, I see you found something.

Enjoy it, and may it last as long as you want it to.

(I'm leaving the link in case someone else wants a deal today.)

luppamom

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 12:58 am
Thanks! You are giving me the chance to write that I hate my new computer. The Aspire E11 was so slow, it was unusable (like could literally take 5 mins for s/t simple to load). I live in EY and someone brought it for me, so as you could imagine, I was quite upset. Acer thought it was defective. Anyway, I decided to have my computer guy look at it before sending it back and spending a fortune on s/t here. The guy also thought it was a horrible computer (a Celeron w/ Windows 8.1), but when he downgraded it to 7 (which I needed either way), it got faster. It still isn't that fast and I'm not sure I can really work on it, but now it's going to be difficult to give it back and I really don't want to buy another one.

Anyway, if you're thinking of getting this model, tread carefully. I would definitely spend another $100-$200 and have a better made computer. I got this one b/c all I need is Internet Explorer and Chrome, but definitely not worth it.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 1:01 am
So sorry to hear that you're not happy with your choice. I missed your post that day, but I would have recomendef to look for core i3 or higher... I had a dell with Celeron processor for a few days and shipped it right back.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 8:34 am
I purchased a very 'old' refurbished laptop on ebay for super cheap, less than $200, and I'm so happy with it! Large screen, all the applications I need. Maybe it's on the heavier side and not *so* portable, but I love it.

This seller is awesome, if you tell him what kind of laptop you want and your budget, he will find one for you.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/blairt.....l2754

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 10:45 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I purchased a very 'old' refurbished laptop on ebay for super cheap, less than $200, and I'm so happy with it! Large screen, all the applications I need. Maybe it's on the heavier side and not *so* portable, but I love it.

This seller is awesome, if you tell him what kind of laptop you want and your budget, he will find one for you.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/blairt.....l2754

Unless the seller transferred the licenses for the applications on it to you, they may not legally be yours for use.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics