Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Son signing up for machal
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 7:38 pm
DS ( a shana bet at a hesder yeshiva with an American program) just signed up for machal hesder- went for his 3rd interview today- I am freakin out- we are making aliyah this summer BE"H and in order for him to keep his own zechuyot he has to delay his aliyah and therefore delay the army. I suggested go to college- he wants to do this- how can I say no- I am so proud of him, and yet the words kravi keep coming out of his mouth- what!!! He is not one of those tough kids- he is sweet soft spoken and would be great as a musician in the army band or greeting people at ceremonies( ok- he would be really good at intelligence as well. ) I know what he is signing up for, but my brain is blocking it totally- I am sure there are amothers out there who can share- How do you emotionally prepare for this????
Starting to feel sick....

anon because we have not really shared our plans with anyone.

maliza

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 8:04 pm
Your son is so blessed that you will be joining him in Eretz Yisroel while he is experiencing Machal. Having a child in army training is really very special - you will see him grow and mature in many ways, very quickly. At the same time, it is nerve-wracking because our children are being prepared to become soldiers and will graduate to active duty. Having your support will be extremely important to him during his service. May H' protect him and his fellow soldiers, and he will go on to college after. his buddies will enjoy his musical talent; he doesn't have to be Mr. Macho - many of the boys aren't naturally tough or have aggressive natures.

I have several sons, all who have served in the army - through hesder or machal. They were chayalei bodedim, although some were born in Israel and were expected to serve upon their return to Eretz.
I can only say this - you trust in H' to protect your children. Anything can happen to anyone anywhere.
Of course, these soldiers are carrying guns and are in the front lines of danger; at the same time, a person can be in danger riding a bus, crossing a street, as a passenger on a plane, shopping for groceries, or davening in shul. (not just in Eretz Yisroel).

In Eretz Yisroel you will find many parents to share your experiences with; you can meet them at family days, or ceremonies; you can bring your son's unit goodies and offer them your support; you can invite the bodedim for Shabbos and Yomim Tovim. They are fine young men (and women). You will see, and you will become very proud!

you can pm me if you have specific questions.

boysrus

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 8:04 pm
sorry
Hug Hug Hug

what excatly is machal? what exactly has he signed up for so far?
and good luck with your aliyah...

amother

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 8:48 pm
machal is basically the army for non Israeli citizens- they come from all over the world- all to help support and protect our homeland.

maliza thanks so much for your words of encouragement!

hila

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 9:30 pm
I think we need a section for mums with sons in the army! I have one in basic training now - and I know there is another imamother son in his tent.

Feel free to ask anything.

BTW when my sons were born they promised me that Mashiach would be here before they were old enough to go in the army ! Did not happen Sad

This is my second one in the army.

Just keep baking and sending him packages. Daven a lot. Hatslacha.

etky

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 11:14 pm
My oldest is a girl and she will only be going into the army in July be"h so I do not yet have a son in the army.
However, I am very familiar with the experiences of my sister and of close friends all of whom have sons in kravi, some in the most elite units. You just have to take one day at a time.
There will be long periods when he is in basic training or some sort of course - that is when you breathe a little.
Maintaining contact by phone helps a lot. This used to be much harder before cell phones existed.
Packages, as Hila said.
You keep busy and try not to think about it so much. And you daven of course.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 11:18 pm
As far as I know, just because someone says he wants to be in kravim doesn't automatically mean the army will assign him to such a unit. They have to see if he is suitable.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 12:52 am
hila wrote:
I think we need a section for mums with sons in the army! I have one in basic training now - and I know there is another imamother son in his tent.

Feel free to ask anything.

BTW when my sons were born they promised me that Mashiach would be here before they were old enough to go in the army ! Did not happen Sad

This is my second one in the army.

Just keep baking and sending him packages. Daven a lot. Hatslacha.

I also have one son who finished and another now in basic training, so that's at least three of us with sons in the army now.
Daven a lot. Living here we know what we're fighting for, and we see many miracles.
May Hashem protect all His children.

hila

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 1:20 am
I dont think we will get a private forum - but feel free to bring up stuff on the LII forum. I dont like saying too much on the open forums

Sanguine

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 3:07 am
Second son in the army Salut . You will be so proud and feel so Israeli. (Whenever my son comes home in Madim I automatically hum "When Johnny comes marching home again - Hurrah Hurrah"). Your son shouldn't push off army. It will make him so much more Israeli so when he goes to university he'll fit in with the other israelis. Just wait till you sew his stripes on (I put my son's on upside down embarrassed ).

You should know, Israel is so so coddling of our children. At first they treat soldiers like new gan kids (for their mothers anyway). They remind the soldiers to call home often in the beginning. I remember the commander at the Hashbaah (swearing in) ceremony speaking to the mothers and saying You have trusted me with your most precious thing and I promise to help him grow and to keep him as safe as I can. The cermonies are really something. You're suddenly surrounded by "Amcha". All the Israelis that you think you'll never have anything to do with are just mothers and sons just like you.

A lot of Dati boys are Kravi. They're the best soldiers cause they're so seriously dedicated. If your son is smart he'll tell you that his job is to keep inventory of the bullets Very Happy . Overall it's not so scary for you unless there's a war (Chs vsh). They come home every second or third Shabbat and then you treat them like kings King .

hila

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 3:16 am
What Sanguine said

Imogen

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 3:26 am
Kol Hakavod.

My boys have done this, a good experience that has prepared them so much for life and made us so proud.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 9:07 am
Thanks so much everyone- this is exactly what I needed, although now I am all emotional because of the beautiful way everyone expressed themselves!

DS has not been officially accepted yet- he just had that whole physical/psychological check-that's when it hit me.

Hila you mentioned about an LII forum- what is that?

Sanguine

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 9:21 am
amother wrote:
Hila you mentioned about an LII forum- what is that?
The Life In Israel forum - one of the closed forums here like IVF, different Chassidish sects... It gives the women in Israel a plce to discuss living in Israel issues like tuition (close to free), Israeli bureaucracy, onion powder and ziploc bags, Israeli politics, Our (non) snowstorm, Life during the war this summer...

You can't join till you show your Teudat Zehut Sad

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 9:26 am
can't wait to be at that point already- this process really makes sure one is serious about moving! have to get through atleast 3 more hoops to get my marriage license approved and that's just dealing with American system!!!

Sanguine

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
can't wait to be at that point already- this process really makes sure one is serious about moving! have to get through atleast 3 more hoops to get my marriage license approved and that's just dealing with American system!!!
It used to be easier to make Aliya. We didn't need all this approval of documents. And we didn't even have to take driving lessons. Just showed our American ones and they gave us Israeli ones. Ahhh The good old days

maliza

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 5:08 pm
There are organizations made up of parents of lone soldiers. The IDF has a group for such parents:
parents@idfinfo.co.il They should be able to give you contacts - and help support you through aliyah!

Hello to all the imamothers whose children are serving/have served in the IDF!

Peanut2

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 6:02 pm
Just want to add that it's so amazing you will be making Aliyah at the same time. A friend of mine was in The same situation, his parents moved to Israel right when he was in machal. All his lone soldier friends came to their house to do laundry and have a home away from home. So prepare for that! Maybe you can also ask to get in touch with other parents of kids going in now or who have in the past. if he's at the Gush a ton of guys did that there in my day.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 6:08 pm
That would be really cool to have the other lone soldiers hanging out with us- better make sure we get a big washing machine!!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:19 pm
Is your son planning on making aliya after his machal service? If so he should look carefully into the machal regulations. I think machal guys MUST leave Israel for something like 2 years right after their service, no visits allowed. Otherwise they are redrafted to complete the period of service required for any Israeli of that age. If that is the case and is not his intention he may be better off making aliya now.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions