Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Menu for multiple allergies??

Miri7

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 10:56 pm
I have guests coming over Shabbat, two families. Between the two families they have so many dietary restrictions that I can't figure out what to cook. And I'm usually pretty good with accommodating peoples restrictions. Any ideas of what to make?

One family is vegetarian but eats fish. The other family has the following allergies:

Fish
Dairy
Soy
Gluten
Wheat
Sesame

I was thinking of making a taco bar? That way I can have fish, a veggie meat, and beans for filling with lots of extras (cheese, guacamole, salsa, rice, caramelized onions, etc). Flour and spelt tortillas. And each person can choose the items that work for them. I know it doesn't sound very shabbosdik but we are all young families and I need a variety so everyone can have something to eat.

Any other ideas? I don't have a ton of time to cook multiple dishes...

animeme

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 11:05 pm
A taco bar sounds like a fun way to manage this. I would get gluten free corn taco shells if possible, because spelt is often a no-go for gluten free. Maybe have some lettuce so people can make a taco salad. And read the labels on any sauces, products, etc regarding gluten and soy. Keep the bottles and packages available so your guests can check. .

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 11:12 pm
I have no suggestions, a taco bar sounds like a great idea. I'm just thinking of that poor mother, she has to deal with this every meal, every day. And I thought one child going gluten free was bad shock

mirror

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 11:46 pm
Does the vegetarian family eat eggs? I know of some that do.

If so, you can make oatmeal cookies for dessert (substitute oatmeal instead of flour).

(Oatmeal has no gluten in it at all, while spelt has a small amount of gluten. Some people with gluten allergies can tolerate spelt while a friend of mine with a gluten allergy can't.)

esther malka

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 12:22 am
Oats need to be gluten free so I wouldn't go that route.
Dessert can be Sharon's sorbet or so delicious ice cream, or fruit.

What about grilled chicken salad? Or schnitzel and use rice chex as bread crumbs can use spiced oil or Pam to get to stick if not using eggs.

parve cholent (if eggs ok) and use millet in place of barley.
If eggs are ok a potato kugel in the crock pot.

Good luck!

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 1:01 am
I almost always do Mexican when I have guests with allergies. Alternatively you can do a puréed soup, quinoa with a vegetarian Moroccan couscousy type stew, salad, and lemon chicken or a simple meat recipe. There's a vegetarian protein and something for the non vegetarians and the meal is gluten free. My favorite gluten free desserts are flourless peanut butter or almond butter cookies, pavlova, meringues or flourless chocolate cake with berries.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 1:09 am
Did you check to see that you can serve things they are allergic to? Everyone I know who is allergic to fish has an airborne allergy but that's just anecdotal..

Mishmish

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 1:19 am
That's a hard set to accommodate everyone with. I think I would find out if the family managing food allergies is planning to bring food for the allergic family member(s). (ETA: I do this myself as we have many allergies.)

Many/most veggie meats have soy and/or wheat in them, so I'd double check the labels.

If the vegetarian family eats eggs, what about a crustless, dairy-free quiche as the main dish with rice and a couple different salads or vegetables on the side? Or do a gluten free pasta salad instead of the quiche. I'm pretty sure I've done a lunch with pasta salad, tortilla chips/guacamole, and other salads in the past.

Or alternatively, make a main that is meat and have a substantial non-meat option as well for the vegetarians.

If the family with allergies eats GF oats (and I agree they need to be certified GF because oats are often contaminated with wheat and other grains because of how they get processed), there are a couple of brands of GF oat challah available in the greater NYC area if that's where you are--Katz makes one and also Heaven Mills--often in the freezer section at a kosher grocery.

animeme

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 6:58 am
I find that people who are gluten free almost universally bring their own challah. So you can check to make sure, but that is likely something you don't need to worry about.

I agree to have sorbet and fruit for dessert. Don't venture.into baking gluten free.unless you know.how, because. Out may work very hard and it won't get eaten. And across the board, be careful bout cross contamination. For example, have the people with the most restrictive allergies build their tacos first.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 7:17 am
For dessert, I would do a crustless apple pie (chop apples and mix with sugar and cinnamon, crumbs are a mixture of equal parts GF flour and sugar, and mixed with oil, pour on top and bake for about an hour).

You can do a crustless quiche which can accommodate everyone.

Taco bars are awesome and we have had them on shabbat. They are fun.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 7:30 am
The taco bar sounds great! I'd suggest putting the cheese (and maybe some plain yogurt or sour cream) on a separate table from the rest of the toppings, to avoid problems for thedairy allergic guest. And maybe they can bring a bit of soy cheese, too?

For dessert, I was thinking chocolate and fruit. Either Taza, which goes well with the Mexican theme, or a chocolate mousse.

imamazing

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 9:47 am
Kol hakavod to you for caring to make this work for your guests!

As a mom of children with multiple allergies, I think you should get the other moms on board. Whenever we go away I bring my own food or offer to cook most of the meal so that I know what my kids can have and my host doesn't have to worry. I'm sure your guests are used to it and may even feel more comfortable that way.

Also, just a note, most non dairy ice creams have soy in them. I have found the abe's yorgood (new product) to be soy free, although it may have other allergens that your guests can't have...

mille

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:37 am
Mexican is awesome, so I think the taco bar is a great idea!

Although, I don't think you necessarily need fish AND beans AND veggie meat for the fillings. I would skip the veggie meat, personally, because it generally has wheat and soy, but the vegetarian family can also have the other two fillings. Fish tacos are delightful, and beans are awesome. The last time I did a (dairy) taco bar meal, the beans were actually the highlight... Even though it was a meat meal!

I would highly suggest making the beans from dried in a crockpot (or I guess in a pan, but I've only ever done it in the crockpot). I add a diced onion, lots of chili powder/cumin/smoked paprika/garlic powder/mexican oregano, some sliced pickled jalapenos (they don't make the beans very spicy), salt, and enough water to cover. Put it on high for a long time until the beans kind of mash up as you stir (8 hrs?). It's so so delicious, and it makes an excellent taco filling. I've used pinto beans and black beans, I think more people like black beans but pinto feels more 'traditional' for tacos to me.

Add sour cream to your list of extras! I also always add cilantro. Definitely go with corn tortillas, but buy a bunch and suggest people use 2 tortillas together (since corn likes to break apart and get messy). You could also add corn as a topping, or black olives depending on the tastes of your guests.

I think taco bar is a super duper fun shabbos meal. I've made it a lot, and everyone always LOVES it. Enjoy!

Miri7

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 12:07 pm
OP here. Thanks, everyone for your great suggestions! I think I'll do the taco bar plan and incorporate some if your great ideas.

The allergic family is bringing store bought challot ( including gluten free) but I can't ask them to bring anything else as they don't keep kosher like we do.

Dessert will be fruit and coconut bliss ice cream.

Thanks, everyone!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus