Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Can my kids get into a chardal school if they watch videos?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 8:13 pm
We're coming from an OOT US community. Looking seriously at RBS. My kids are allowed to watch pareve videos/movies and play on some websites (always on a computer in a main room, with parent log-in required to get access to computer). Does this mean that they won't get into Magen Avos or Ahavat Yisrael?

And if they won't get in, would a Torani school admit them? If so, what Torani schools for girls are in RBS, and which ones do a good job with new olim?!

THANKS!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 11:44 pm
I don't know about Chardal, but AFAIK most torani schools are fine with videos. They're more "Modern Orthodox" in their outlook.

When I started letting DD watch videos, I explained to her that other families might not let their kids watch, so she shouldn't discuss videos at school. NOT because we are hiding anything, but because we don't want other kids to feel left out or embarrassed because they don't know about popular movies.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 11:50 pm
I have family in RBS, and as far as I know every one has internet, lets the kids watch movies....
Some hide, others do it mor openly.

chani8

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 12:06 am
The question you should be asking is, what right does the school have to tell me what to do in my house??!

You choose the school. Don't let the school choose you. You already sound like a victim, ready to give over your power to the schools. Ready to do what you're told.

Just know that probably every school in RBS has had issues with molestation. Find out how your school deals with it. Make sure they report and have safety precautions and teach safety to the kids.

The public dati leumi school Ahavat Yisroel is most likely the safest option, not to mention the most affordable. You get your money's worth instead of a lot of politics.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 12:12 am
In Ahavat Yisrael they will ask you if you have a television and/or to what extent you allow your kids access to media. I have always written that my kids watch videos and it hasn't been a problem. The school teaches the kids how to use the internet responsibly and shows videos themselves sometimes.

I would not call Magen Avot chardal, more like chareidi hashkafa where in theory (and in the school rules!) they don't want kids to be watching anything, but in practice lots of kids there have lots of access to lots of different things.

boysrus

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 7:22 am
amother wrote:
In Ahavat Yisrael they will ask you if you have a television and/or to what extent you allow your kids access to media. I have always written that my kids watch videos and it hasn't been a problem. The school teaches the kids how to use the internet responsibly and shows videos themselves sometimes.

I would not call Magen Avot chardal, more like chareidi hashkafa where in theory (and in the school rules!) they don't want kids to be watching anything, but in practice lots of kids there have lots of access to lots of different things.

The bolded. Before I saw the bolded post, I had logged on specifically to say that Magen Avot considers itself charedi, not chardal at all!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 5:58 am
OP here: AH, so helpful! I guess I can cross Magen Avot off the list. Too bad, b/c their website (which is in English) is the only one I understood Smile. (Odd dialectic there that they don't want families online but they have a lovely and extensive website! Guess it's considered for "business").

Ahavat Yisrael moves to the top of the list!

What schools are similar to Ahavat Yisrael for grade 7 girls?

Thanks!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 6:53 am
AY has an Ulpana, Grade 7-12. If you'd like her to stay in Bet Shemesh there is also Gila.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 11:16 am
OP: thank you! That's good that AY has for older girls, too. Whew.....

Can you tell me more about Gila? I looked online and one here and didn't see anything.

b''h, it seems like there are a lot of choices on schools in RBS, but it sure is hard to find out about them.....

Also, is it too late to get my kids in for next year? Seems like acceptance letters go out the beginning of Feb and we won't even be in Israel for pilot trip until a few weeks later.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 11:20 am
amother wrote:
OP: thank you! That's good that AY has for older girls, too. Whew.....

Can you tell me more about Gila? I looked online and one here and didn't see anything.

b''h, it seems like there are a lot of choices on schools in RBS, but it sure is hard to find out about them.....

Also, is it too late to get my kids in for next year? Seems like acceptance letters go out the beginning of Feb and we won't even be in Israel for pilot trip until a few weeks later.

Apply now. This way the schools can interview your kids when they are here for the pilot trip.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 4:34 am
OP here: glad it's not too late!

Are there any other schools I should be considering for 7th grade dd? She is very artsy, loves to sing. Poor Hebrew Sad (at least at the moment....)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions