Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Dilemma..

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 3:40 pm
Do you do what's best for you or your employer in general? I am in a really tricky situation and I am going to make it as clear as I can.
My DH was laid off recently and I was fortunate enough to find a job almost right away. I started working and have been absolutely miserable to the point that I am angry and resentful of DH and having panic attacks thinking about going in.
My DH bh found a new job, starts Monday. I have been hunting high and low for a new job and have a second interview on Friday (going to take a sick day).
I am pretty close with my boss and I know she will be devastated when I quit, however I cannot live my life based around her feelings.
My dilemma is a few-fold.
1) my DH starts Monday. We do not have daycare arranged for my youngest because they want a lot of money. The place I am interviewing at is moving much faster than I anticipated and have a daycare on site.. I don't want to start my baby somewhere and then move her two weeks later- she is not good with change and I don't want to do that to her.
2) it will cost me more than I am making to put the baby in daycare.
3) the job is making me extremely depressed and is starting to really impinge on my shalom bayis.
4) I am still in probation period and technically do not need to give 2 weeks notice.
5) If I start my baby in daycare I will move her most probably and lose the deposit we need to give that goes towards June tuition.
6) even if I don't get this job, I am going to quit anyway because I am still in school full time anyway and the amount of money I make after daycare etc is negligible.

However, I know my boss is traveling and really needs someone while I'm gone. If I tell her today I'm giving notice and call in sick on Friday they will be even more upset (even though they don't pay vacation or sick days for at least a year). If I tell her Friday, I still have an issue starting Monday w daycare and I will have cost her two search days. What would obviously be best for me is saying goodbye as of tomorrow night but I feel terrible doing that- they have been really nice to me with a bonus at Xmas and accommodating. It really is simply the job and work that I detest not the people.

Sorry for the extra long post but I really don't know what to do.

worknights1313

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 3:53 pm
I would do the mentschlich thing and give them two weeks'notice. It isn't the right thing to leave them in the lurch. If you get the new job, you can tell them you will be available in two weeks. They will respect that you gave your employer proper notice.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 4:00 pm
OP here: even if you will lose approx $1000 because of it?

imasinger

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 4:27 pm
I don't think I would give 2 weeks' notice if it cost me an extra $1000 out of pocket, and caused stress to a baby.

But I would apologize for not doing so, and explain why. Explain that this opportunity came up quickly, and includes onsite daycare.

Yes, it's a pain for the current employer. But not as painful as paying a lot of daycare money for a place you only would be staying at for 2 weeks, which is not only hard for your family, but not menschlich to that provider.

Given how nice they are, I think they will understand. Sometimes, people's lives change abruptly. It happens. We deal, and then move on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics