Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
4 year old driving us NUTS about taking medicine

amother

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 6:34 pm
my 4 year old started getting sick on motzie shabbos and got progressively worse by Sunday.

Taking tylenol and advil is a WAR shes crying, kicking and screaming over it.

We have tried every flavor, drink, chewables, everything.

My dh came home and just shoved a suppository, bc dr said she has to break this fever.

Any tips?!?

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 6:39 pm
does she take it herself or do you force her ... forcing ensues a war

at 4 you can have the medicine in a 'shot' glass & a big cup of her favorite drink to immediately follow like a 'chaser' & you be her cheerleader

LoveMy2Kids

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 7:52 pm
My son was the same way, so at that age he learned to swallow pills. Given his tendency towards high fevers, it saves so much drama and fighting.

imasinger

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 9:14 pm
If all else fails, suppository can be that last resort.

I agree with teaching her to swallow a pill. It is doable at that age, and can make life SO much easier!

You can numb the tongue with something frozen, and/or offer a treat afterwards.

But in the end, medication is non negotiable.

Set it up by offering lots of love, comforting, and approval both before and after. At a calm time (well between doses) let her try to brainstorm strategies for making it less difficult to do. A favorite distraction? A sticker or prize?

Be careful to avoid nasty surprises, which adults can do when they are uncomfortable dealing with a child's negative reaction. People of any age do best if they are given adequate warning/preparation before something unpleasant, so let her know the med schedule ahead of time.

Then, stick to your guns!

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 12:51 am
I use the tablet form, my kids don't know how to swallow pills so I crush it up and serve in a spoonful of applesauce. Never had a problem that way but I suppose if desperate one could use ice cream instead of applesauce.

Now if anyone knows how to get an uninterested child to cooperate with inhalers and nebulizer a multiple times per day for up to weeks at a time, please do share Sad

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 2:46 am
Ugh, I remember those days! It's easier to give medicine to any angry wildcat.

For us, we hid pills in chocolate pudding. It was a treat that she never got unless she was sick. If she ate the first spoonful with the pill in it, then she could have the rest of the cup of pudding to herself. The thickness of the pudding worked better than applesauce for us.

Liquids are harder, because those just taste NASTY! What the heck kind of flavors do they use? Puke I've tasted them, and I can't say I blame the poor kids one bit.

I've had the best luck with the melt away strips of Tylenol. The grape flavor is actually pretty good, and there's no way to choke on them.

There are homeopathic fever reducers available that don't taste bad, and kids love the tiny pills. I've never had DD give me trouble with those.

Personally, we've found that the best way to reduce a fever is with a hot bath. It sounds crazy, but a 15 minute bath in water that is just above "warm" makes the body reset it's thermostat, and by the time she's dried off and dressed she has a much lower temp.

deena19k

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 3:00 am
seeker wrote:

Now if anyone knows how to get an uninterested child to cooperate with inhalers and nebulizer a multiple times per day for up to weeks at a time, please do share Sad

We've been dealing with this lately. Honestly, it sounds horrible, but my husband holds her head tight while I hold the mask with one hand and with the other hand I hold her arms down. I feel kinda mean but this was the last resort.

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 9:20 am
deena19k wrote:
We've been dealing with this lately. Honestly, it sounds horrible, but my husband holds her head tight while I hold the mask with one hand and with the other hand I hold her arms down. I feel kinda mean but this was the last resort.

I've been letting her play on iPad during nebulizer, against my usual principles but works somewhat. The 20-second inhaler ironically is harder, a couple of times I've pinned her down but I hate that :-(

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 9:29 am
Health first. Sometimes you have to force.

Suppo is easier, even for an adult with nausea.

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 2:59 pm
seeker wrote:
I've been letting her play on iPad during nebulizer, against my usual principles but works somewhat. The 20-second inhaler ironically is harder, a couple of times I've pinned her down but I hate that :-(

I think this is a perfect and appropriate time for ipad, even if it normally would be against one's principles.

For the inhaler, does it have to be done all at once, or can it be broken into 5 second intervals?

sitting

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 5:05 pm
Not sure if there r bigger kids in ur house but when possible (when big ones r home) I set my 4 yr old up with medicine syringe and a drink and treat and leave the room for her to make me a surprise. ..but....I leave a bigger kid in there to cheer her on....usually works. Older one also says if u dont take it mum will have to force it down ur throat which is much yuckier. Works every time in my home Smile
Also ice cream way better as chaser as cold takes away yuck taste imho. Weve also used choc syrup..u know the kind u pour on ice cream....this is particularly good with gross tasting liquids. Good luck and refuah shelaima

pelle

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 6:18 pm
I put the grape or berry flavored advil/tylenol in kedem grape juice and let them drink it with a straw. it's very hard to tase it that way. also if they let you give them a suppository, that works too. refuah sheleimah.

Chloe

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:29 pm
Ava the Elephant might help!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Ava-Elep.....86IRQ

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:34 pm
We tell our kids the nebulizer is like a microphone to sing in.

Doesn't always work, but the whole family suggests songs and the soloist alternates between singing crying and hopefully breathing some of the medication...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers