Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Best mixer???
Previous  1  2  3

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:45 am
Raisin wrote:
HY I have had none of those issues with the magic mill. I've made a 5lb batch of dough weekly for many years (10?), plus often a batch of cookies or cake. It never heats up even when using for ten or more minutes at a time.

I do need to replace the knobs, one has worn out and I lost a non essential but helpful part which I need replacing.

Yeah, the Magic Mill is also a very good option for heavy doughs. I would have considered it if I had been able to get a deal on it Smile

I'm just cautioning against the KA. I really have no vested interest in the Bosch. Either that or the Magic Mill is a good option!

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:52 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Yeah, the Magic Mill is also a very good option for heavy doughs. I would have considered it if I had been able to get a deal on it Smile

I'm just cautioning against the KA. I really have no vested interest in the Bosch. Either that or the Magic Mill is a good option!

I'm sure bosch is also great. when we bought ours, maybe magic mill was more popular? We bought it from a frum shop and the owner strongly recommended it.

Also I know there are people who have had kitchen aids for 30 years but I think kitchen aids were better made 30 years ago.

ImaCohen4

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 12:06 pm
Raisin my mother has an old Kitchenaid that outperforms mine. Hard to figure that out considering the cost that went into the KA but it is wonderful and convenient for cakes,cookies ect as it's always left out on the counter. It is more aesthetically pleasing than my Bosch this I will say. I've never even heard of a magic mill when I was searching for another option prior to our Bosch purchase.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 12:31 pm
Raisin wrote:
I'm sure bosch is also great. when we bought ours, maybe magic mill was more popular? We bought it from a frum shop and the owner strongly recommended it.

Also I know there are people who have had kitchen aids for 30 years but I think kitchen aids were better made 30 years ago.

Yup, I was using a 30 yo KA (but would not make more than a small batch of bread dough in it!) after my huge one bit the dust. I sold it when moving since I was planning on a Bosch anyway, and I don't have room for so many appliances.
The Bosch used to have a little less power I think, so it could be that 15 years ago, magic mill was the best. It still might be, it was just out of my budget Tongue Out My mother in law has one, and I can't see what is so complicated about it to the poster who asked.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 12:56 pm
A glass bowl rested on a pregnant belly secured with the left hand and a silicone spatula in the right.....

Only need to be pregnant once. The belly lasts a life time.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 1:31 pm
I Love my Bosch. I dump in a 5 lb bag of flour, rest of ingredients, yeast, put on the cover and let it go for 10 minutes (it does jump a lot). And done.

[Mine is over 10 years old but I don't use it that often, only when I need a big batch, otherwise I just do a small batch in my bread machine each week because it is on my counter anyways. And I use a hand mixer for most cakes and cookies, unless making big batches then I'll lug out the Bosch.]

FYI: I hate the food processor that I bought with my Bosch, but I do like the blender.

ImaCohen4

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 1:36 pm
Sky may I ask what it is that you do not like about the food processor attachment? I've been considering it as it is cheaper than buying an entire new unit not to mention requiring more space.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 2:29 pm
I have the older style Bosch. The food processor I bought from a frum store in NY only had slicing\shredding blades where you push the food down the neck into the blades. There is no "S" blade on mine. It takes so much work and energy to get it to shred a 5 lb bag of potatoes. It was easier to do it by hand. When I was pregnant I was almost scared to do it because of how hard I had to push on the potatoes, my DH even found it took more effort then it was worth.
When I bought a Braun for Pesach and saw how it pulverized the potatoes in one second using the chopper blades I couldn't bring myself to use the Bosch food processor again. I've seen it sold now with an "S" blade, but I'm not sure if that fixed the shredding blades issue.
I've since bought myself a Braun and love it and would never go back.

L K

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 4:46 pm
Sky,

- how do you use a hand mixer for cookies?
- how much flour can you use in your bread machine, and can you recommend one?
- what do you use pulverized potatoes for?

thanks

sky

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 5:39 pm
L K wrote:
Sky,

- how do you use a hand mixer for cookies?
- how much flour can you use in your bread machine, and can you recommend one?
- what do you use pulverized potatoes for?

thanks

- I just use my hand mixer. If the dough is too thick it has to work harder or it may not be able to do it and then I'll switch to hand. But for regular single batch of chocolate chip cookies or sugar cookies it is fine and for sure for my standard cakes. I use my hand mixer all the time.

- I have a Panasonic bread machine that makes 2.5 lbs dough (not flour). I bought it about 5 years ago and use it almost every Friday for shabbos challah and then also for pizza dough, whole wheat rolls and bread. I rarely use it for baking, normally only for mixing.
for shabbos challos I've made challos with up to 6.5 cups of flour. it does the kneading and then I take it out and shape it. 6.5 is a bit much and I'm afraid it might break it. I think 5 cups is safer.

- I meant grated potatoes - like for potato kugel.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics