Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spinoff of News about Child who Died of Flu after vaccine

amother

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 6:55 am
This is the kind of news that everyone twists to their advantage.

Vaccine advocates will see this as proof of how dangerous flu is and remind everyone to get their shot to prevent more such stories.

Vaccine opponents will see this as proof of how ineffective the flu shot is.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 7:22 am
This story is proof of nothing . It's called anecdotal evidence. If, for example, you knew of someone killed in a car crash while wearing a seat belt it doesn't discount the importance of seat belts. Only a large scale study showing no difference in casualties with or without seat belt use would be actual proof. (Picked a silly example here to make a point, obviously I am NOT saying seat belts are unimportant )

On the other end of it, the vast majority of people who get the flu will be fine. My doctor actually does NOT advocate flu shots for most patients. But I am not a "militant" anti vaxer at all. On the contrary, my kids are all vaccinated BESIDES for the flu shot.

I'm not strongly opinionated either way on this issue. What I am against is people using anecdotal evidence to support their claims of whatever. Example: "I gave my son high doses of vitamin D and his ADHD was cured!" etc... I'm sure you've also heard these type of things. They drive me bananas !

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 7:27 am
everyone knows the flu shot has a low effectiveness rate. this year it is only 24%.

btw someone immunised against measles could also potentially die of the measles. ALthough the percentage of people who are immune to measles after vaccination is far higher still some people will catch it if it is going round.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 7:28 am
It's gross to me that anyone would use such a story to their advantage. A little girl is dead. A family is destroyed.

This has nothing to do with the flu vaccine. Or even the flu. The girl basically gagged to death on phlegm which could happen from a common cold, respiratory infection, whatever - nothing specific to do with flu.

Am I wrong?

mille

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 8:06 am
MiracleMama wrote:
It's gross to me that anyone would use such a story to their advantage. A little girl is dead. A family is destroyed.

This has nothing to do with the flu vaccine. Or even the flu. The girl basically gagged to death on phlegm which could happen from a common cold, respiratory infection, whatever - nothing specific to do with flu.

Am I wrong?

Not wrong. It's a very sad story, nothing anyone says can ever make it right. Losing a child is a devastating tragedy.

That's why I was kind of nervous when I saw the post, especially right now while we have several active threads about vaccination. I was really, really hoping no one turns it into yet another fight about vaccines or not, because that is so not ok. :\

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 8:26 am
MiracleMama wrote:

Am I wrong?

You are right.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics