Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Anyone ever made their own ketchup?

MGmom

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 12:08 pm
I seem to be buying too many ketchups a week, my kids love grilled cheese sandwiches w them and potatoes and chicken n whatever else can be eaten with ketchup. Was wondering if there's any way I can make my own. And also to avoid all that junk ingredients that the label reads. Silent ... TIA

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 12:14 pm
I made a great batch of raw ketchup once. DH and I loved it; kids not so much. But it was easy and no cooking involved. If you're interested I will look for recipe after shabbos.
You can definitely make your own normal cooked down type too, but it seemed like a lot of mess and effort to me. I am buying a brand that has no added sugars so I'm happy with that. Took my kids some time to adjust (it tastes a lot more like tomato paste then traditional ketchup) but they did.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 12:16 pm
I make ketchup if I'm growing paste tomatoes. I put up about 6 quarts this past season. When I don't I use Annie'sSmile

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 2:53 pm
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....28790

monseychick

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 3:00 pm
Dh makes his own for peach

mommy321

Post Sat, Jan 31 2015, 1:41 pm
I make it all the time- saves money, tastes great. Use an old ketchup bottle:
from pennilessparenting.com:
Ingredients:
18 oz tomato paste (500 grams)
7 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice (I use apple cider vinegar, but regular vinegar also works, it's just less healthy)
2 tablespoons honey (or the equivalent amount of sugar or sucanat- I also often use unsweetened apple juice concentrate)
1/2-3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of allspice
Pinch cloves
Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)

Instructions:
1. Mix all the ingredients together.
2. If desired, add more salt, garlic powder, vinegar, or sweetener to taste.
3. Pour your homemade ketchup into an old ketchup bottle, or into a jar. This should entirely fill a standard sized ketchup bottle.
4. Use as you would any other ketchup, either as is or in other recipes.
Note: Refrigerate after making. This should last a while in the refrigerator because of the acidity of the vinegar and tomatoes.

mominey

Post Sat, Jan 31 2015, 3:51 pm
I never made ketchup but I did make homemade tomato sauce. I did it for Pesach because we don't eat gebrokts which means that it can't have water touching the matzah but in our family it's okay for it to be another liquid. I made matza pizza with the sauce and I used tomatoes that I put through the food processor and then I added a bit of oil, a bunch of green spices like oregano, basil, etc. and some salt, garlic and pepper and it was really yummy, and natural tasting, it was so much better than the bought stuff! Good luck with ketchup, if I was making the recipe from mommy321 I would leave out the cinnamon because I can't imagine that in ketchup...

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 6:20 am
Tomato sauce is not so hard. Ketchup wenever found the right way...

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 3:06 pm
using tomatoe paste is like using a boxed cake mix for a base ... it doesn't really help if you want to cook/bake from scratch - starting with tomatoes

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 3:30 pm
greenfire wrote:
using tomatoe paste is like using a boxed cake mix for a base ... it doesn't really help if you want to cook/bake from scratch - starting with tomatoes

LoL I immediately thought of Sandra Lee when I read your post. LOL

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 4:04 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
LoL I immediately thought of Sandra Lee when I read your post. LOL

I prefer martha stewart ...

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 4:35 pm
I totally would if I had a big yard and grew bushels of my own blood-red tomatoes, but with tomatoes going for $2.50 a lb. for anemic plastic ones with no taste, I would have to be crazy to do so. I agree with green re: making "from scratch" when the main ingredient is commercially prepared, though I might try it once just so I could say I know how.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 5:45 pm
I'd once considered making ketchup from tomato paste for Pesach since we go through so much expensive ketchup then. But when added up the costs, there wasn't enough of a difference for it to be worthwhile.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 6:13 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I'd once considered making ketchup from tomato paste for Pesach since we go through so much expensive ketchup then. But when added up the costs, there wasn't enough of a difference for it to be worthwhile.
I also have wanted to do this because I buy one bottle each year, we don't appreciate the taste enough to finish the bottle after Pesach, so it's a real waste each year.
I figure that a 6 oz. can of tomato paste costs less than than a bottle of the Pesach ketchup so I may do it this year. The rest of the ingredients I usually have on hand. I have actually been experimenting in preparation for Pesach.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 8:20 pm
greenfire wrote:
I prefer martha stewart ...

I'm no fan of Sandra's. I thought of her because the ketchup was almost homemade.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 8:35 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I'm no fan of Sandra's. I thought of her because the ketchup was almost homemade.

right I got that ... but then I started thinking of cooking shows that don't start out with a can from your pantry & like good wholesome old-fashioned home cooking Tongue Out

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 8:44 pm
greenfire wrote:
right I got that ... but then I started thinking of cooking shows that don't start out with a can from your pantry & like good wholesome old-fashioned home cooking Tongue Out

I hear ya, I binge watch Jacque and Julia once a year.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 8:47 pm
Greenie, do you remember when "dump" cake was all the rage? You dumped a package of cake mix into a baking pan along with a can of cherry pie filling, a can of crushed pineapple, and some butter or margarine, and baked the whole mess just like that. That was what passed for homemade cake among HS girls and twentysomethings at the time. Oy.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 9:10 pm
zaq wrote:
Greenie, do you remember when "dump" cake was all the rage? You dumped a package of cake mix into a baking pan along with a can of cherry pie filling, a can of crushed pineapple, and some butter or margarine, and baked the whole mess just like that. That was what passed for homemade cake among HS girls and twentysomethings at the time. Oy.

nopes - I've been baking since I was less than 8 ... I can't even comprehend the thought

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 11:43 am
You can make the tomato sauce with the tomatoes, in a pan. Or if you're brave and old school, my great grandmother zal would "break" them with her hands!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen