Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Waking Up Early On Shabbos - help!

esther09

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 5:43 am
I was asked to help someone out tomorrow morning, and I would love to be able to do it, but it requires being able to be up very early (earlier than DH is up). Anyone have any tips to be up early on Shabbos? Practical advice like "the iPhone alarm goes off after XYZ time." I might be able to go shopping in Brooklyn today as a last resort - does anyone know of any Shabbos alarms that they sell? Is that a thing or is this so halachically off base??

chani8

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 5:46 am
You really can set your phone to go off with music for just one alarm, for a specific duration. Why not just do that?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 5:51 am
My cell phone will turn itself off after one minute, if I don't turn the alarm off on my own.

The trick is to leave the phone across the room, otherwise you'll roll over, half asleep, and push the button on Shabbos! (BTDT embarrassed )

Make sure the ring tone is set to something that won't mind playing for a minute or so. Nothing annoying that will make you want to throw it across the room. Wink

esther09

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 6:28 am
Thanks! Do either of you have an iphone? How do I set the duration of the alarm + make sure that it doesn't keep going off over and over?

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 6:48 am
there are also alarms out there (I use one) that goes off after a minute. try to find something like that.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 7:43 am
esther09 wrote:
Thanks! Do either of you have an iphone? How do I set the duration of the alarm + make sure that it doesn't keep going off over and over?

I have found that the iPhone alarm goes on ringing for a while. I only used one on Shabbat and it went on ringing for over 15 minutes. I don't know when it stopped, I was out of my hotel room by then and when I got back hours later it had stopped. There are other alarm clock apps available for iPhone which might be more flexible but I haven't tried one.

At home I use an Android's alarm clock. It stops after a minute, or if you enable snooze, rings for a minute and then stops for another four minutes, I think it repeats for up to 15 minutes. If someone else is staying asleep and you can wake up during the first minute it's probably better to turn snooze off.

esther09

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 8:35 am
Good to know about the regular iPhone alarm. Anyone know of a (free) app that would work for this? Much appreciated!!

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 8:40 am
there is shabbos alarm app which costs a little. Not a ton. Its worth the money if you are going to use it often. My husband uses it every shabbos morning, its great. You can set a bunch of alarms to go off.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 8:41 am
there is one called shabbat alert that is free.

working hard

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 8:47 am
I use the Timex alarm clock that goes off on its own after about 30 seconds

mominey

Post Sat, Jan 31 2015, 4:08 pm
I also use the timex but for my husband that's not long enough, he uses a phone that has alarms which shut off after a minute and he sets a few so that they go off every five minutes or so until he gets up...

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 2:48 pm
I'm getting a headache just thinking about it ... can't stand alarms ~ let alone on shabbos [once buried someone's phone in a drawer on shabbos & forgot about it - till they spent a good amount of time searching]

then again I wake up with the birds - cockadoodledoooooooooooooooo
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note