Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Best way to defrost...

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 9:59 am
...a yerushalmi kugel? Do I leave it out on the counter or put it directly in the oven (at what temp?)?
Thanks!

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 10:01 am
I would leave it out for a while first ... then warm it up in oven or on blech ... you don't want the outside to burn while the inside is still frozen

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 10:43 am
Thanks greenfire, when I did a search I thought I saw a few people say that it tasted better when they put it straight into the oven, so I was wondering the best way to do that, if it's worth it. Has anyone tried it that way/?

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 1:18 pm
Safest way to defrost is in fridge, so everything stays uniformly cold until it's all defrosted. It is not safe to defrost food at room temp because the outside reaches perfect bacterial-proliferation temperature while the inside is still frozen.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 1:26 pm
zaq wrote:
Safest way to defrost is in fridge, so everything stays uniformly cold until it's all defrosted. It is not safe to defrost food at room temp because the outside reaches perfect bacterial-proliferation temperature while the inside is still frozen.

I have always heard that, but in regard to defrosting raw meat. This applies equally to an already cooked noodle dish??? Who knew. Interesting.

mominey

Post Sat, Jan 31 2015, 6:17 pm
I know that this post really started with Yerushalmi kugel but I just wanted to point out a great idea for potato kugel, if you freeze it, then when you take it out to defrost you should first preheat the oven to about 400 degrees and then take it out, pour about 1/4 cup of water all over it and then put it straight into the oven. It helps take away any freezer taste and makes it taste like a freshly cooked kugel... it works great- try it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes