Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Freelancer--how to tell about maternity leave?

sweetpotato

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 9:34 am
I'm a freelance journalist and work for one company, approximately 20 hrs/week right now. All employees are remote, so I've never met anyone I work with face-to-face. Accordingly, no one knows yet that I'm very obviously pregnant (due around Pesach)! I've been working for this company for about 3 months, and while I know I need to tell my boss something, I'm really nervous and unsure how to go about it. I'm worried about a couple of things specifically. First, when I was hired as a freelancer, it was with the idea that the job could turn into a full-time salaried position within 3-6 months. I don't know where I stand with that, but I'm worried that announcing that I'm going to need to take time out in the next few months could jeopardize my standing. There are multiple freelancers right now all doing the same job, so I'm worried they'll boot me out and hire another person as the salaried staff member.

I also don't know how much time to say I'd like to take off, or whether I should frame it as an official maternity leave (I.e. leave from date X-date Y) or make it more casual (I.e. tell them I'll likely be out for a certain number of weeks after the birth, and then will increase my work load as I'm able).

Does anyone have any experience with navigating maternity leave as a freelancer?

mominey

Post Sat, Jan 31 2015, 3:46 pm
Is it something you can do right after you give birth? if it's only computer based maybe you can tell them you will have to put in less time for a few weeks instead of saying you are leaving for a proper maternity leave (obviously only if you are up to such a thing and if the job type works for that.) Also, maybe you can try to feel things out first with regard to their intentions of extending the job before deciding what to tell them? Best of luck!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers