Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Harry Potter Frum Fanfiction: Yehuda (Anthony) Goldstein
  Previous  1  2  3 5  6  7 15  16  17  Next

pickle321

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 10:29 am
imasinger wrote:
Love the question of whether a wand is muktzeh.

I really, really hope Snape won't be Jewish. Feeds right into antisemitism, since he isn't exactly a hero.

Snaps is a hero! Did you read the seventh book??

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 10:31 am
imasinger wrote:
Love the question of whether a wand is muktzeh.

I really, really hope Snape won't be Jewish. Feeds right into antisemitism, since he isn't exactly a hero.

He was a hero! He just had an awful personality.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 10:58 am
Snape was hero enough for the adult Harry Potter to name one of his sons Albus Severus, after Dumbledore and Snape.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 12:37 pm
I was just wondering as I read this story: Do you think your 11 year old son would be as good and strong as Yehuda in a non-Jewish environment?

I have a kid who's almost 11 and I am positive he would never daven a single tefila in Hogwarts. I wonder if he would know enough about kashrus to know what he could or couldn't eat. I don't think he'd have a clue about what to daven on Rosh Hashana or that it would occur to him to try to build a Sukkah. (For that matter, I'd never trust him to clean my fridge for Pesach either LOL )

Is Yehuda an unusually mature kid or is my kid unusually babyish?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 4:01 pm
amother wrote:
I was just wondering as I read this story: Do you think your 11 year old son would be as good and strong as Yehuda in a non-Jewish environment?

I have a kid who's almost 11 and I am positive he would never daven a single tefila in Hogwarts. I wonder if he would know enough about kashrus to know what he could or couldn't eat. I don't think he'd have a clue about what to daven on Rosh Hashana or that it would occur to him to try to build a Sukkah. (For that matter, I'd never trust him to clean my fridge for Pesach either LOL )

Is Yehuda an unusually mature kid or is my kid unusually babyish?

I'd say he's about average maturity wise, but a very good learner.

It's also a personality thing. The author is developing Yehuda as more book smart than street smart. (And doing a really good job! The character development in this is amazing in that it's subtle but very thorough)

amother

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 6:51 pm
Just wanted to point out that letting a child under bar/bat mitzvah make your fridge pesachdig could be an issue, unless they're very trustworthy. I let my kids help, but I inspect their work afterwards.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 4:29 am
I'm amother from three posts up. I had to come back and post in defense of my poor, maligned son.

This Shabbos I asked him what he would do if he was stuck alone in a non-kosher hotel for a month. What would he eat? When he answered fruit and Coke (his dream LOL ) I asked him which fruits he would choose, kashrus-wise, from among apples, oranges, sliced pineapple, strawberries, raspberries, grapes and cherries. He said he would eat apples and oranges.

I asked why not raspberries, strawberries and cherries, and he said that he can't check them. I asked why he couldn't check cherries, since we do check and eat them at home. To which he responded, "I can't check them because I'm not bar mitzva." I hadn't thought of that. We asked a few talmidei chachamim whether a minor child can check fruits for himself and none of them were sure. One day I must ask the rav.

(Dh pointed out that he could only eat whole grapes, because if the grapes were sliced and a non-Jew touched them it could be a shaila of yayin nesech.)

I asked ds what he would do about kiddush and he said he's not mechuyav yet because he's not bar mitzva.

I was pretty proud of his knowledge. Smile And I feel bad that I underestimated him.

pickle321

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 7:19 am
When is chapter 9 coming out? I want to read more!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 6:55 pm
OP

It's being worked on.
Hopefully it will be done faster than chapter 8 was.

poelmamosh

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:

I asked why not raspberries, strawberries and cherries, and he said that he can't check them. I asked why he couldn't check cherries, since we do check and eat them at home. To which he responded, "I can't check them because I'm not bar mitzva."

He can, AFAIK, check for himself.

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 5:20 am
I want an update :-(

pickle321

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 6:02 am
esheschayil wrote:
I want an update :-(

Me too

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 6:21 am
OP

Sorry! My sister just started a new semester in college, and her schedule's crazy this time. It's almost done.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 7:31 am
amother wrote:
OP

Sorry! My sister just started a new semester in college, and her schedule's crazy this time. It's almost done.

An Hour-Reversal Charm should help with that.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 6:04 pm
OP again.

Down to the last few issues with this chapter… can any UK Imamothers help out?

Do most people of Yehuda's family's type keep Chalav Yisrael in the UK?

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 7:21 pm
It's the middle of the night in Britain. If you don't get any responses in the next few hours, it might be a good idea to ask again in the morning.

Brownies

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
OP again.

Down to the last few issues with this chapter… can any UK Imamothers help out?

Do most people of Yehuda's family's type keep Chalav Yisrael in the UK?

Yes, I would think so. Looking forward!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 12:50 am
In Europe, chalav stam is not generally accepted among yeshivish/chassidish/chareidi people, even the type that would eat chalav stam in America.

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 4:40 am
There wouldn't be a heter at a place like Hogwarts? There should be!

Also, I'm starting to think Yehuda should drop out of Hogwarts and get tutored privately by, I don't know, Molly Weasley? trying to think of someone who doesn't work and could use the income.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 5:46 am
Chapter 9 is up!
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10847788/9/
Page 6 of 17   Previous  1  2  3 5  6  7 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club