Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need Help Making the Transition

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 9:02 am
I'm currently a SAHM to twin toddlers. I haven't gone back to work because a) I hated my job, and b) babysitting fees for two kids would've eaten away at all of my earnings.

But now that they'll be starting school next year, my husband is pressuring me to go back to work. . .

Just thinking about it makes my head spin.

And here we go again with the insurance problem. Right now we qualify for govt insurance. So if I get a part-time job, we'll disqualify, but then all my earnings will go towards paying for insurance (we need a good one; where we live, Medicaid is great). So I'm looking into full-time jobs that pay insurance. But the idea of working full-time with two little kids is so overwhelming! How does anyone manage coming home at 6, picking up kids from babysitter, making dinner, serving, bathing, putting them to sleep, cleaning, all with a decent amount of patience??? I'm exhausted as is right now without working!

And does it even pay? I'll have to pay for (extra) cleaning help, pay for a sitter to watch them before and after school...
I'm sorry for ranting. But I know I'm not the only one. I need practical advice on how to make the leap from SAHM to working full time. And staying sane.

Thanks

SRS

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 8:27 pm
You don't have to do all of those things by yourself. Your husband will have to do more and you will have to streamline certain things. With 2 children, you might want to consider an in-home sitter who will take care of some of your errands and cleaning.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 9:00 pm
Are you sure you've done the math right on the insurance? Due to the new Obamacare marketplace you are unlikely to have to pay full price for insurance with just a part-time job. The subsidies are really very helpful in this kind of situation. Talk to a facilitator like Yeled V'yalda (New York) or the equivalent in your area.

lfab

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 9:09 am
Working full time doesn't have to mean getting home at 6. I don't know what type of work you did prior to having children and where you live so I don't know if any of these suggestions will be helpful but here are some ideas:
-try to find a more local job to cut down on commute times
-try to work out an arrangement where you can start earlier so you can leave earlier (8-4 instead of 9-5 etc.)
-take a shorter lunch break; if everyone gets 45 minutes you take only 30 so you can leave 15 minutes earlier.
-again, depending on the type of work you do, maybe you can work a few hours from home so you can spend fewer hours in the office
-If you can't arrange to get home earlier you say you would need to pay somebody for afterschool care, pay them extra to also do some of the cleanup or have them feed the kids supper or bathe them before you get home.

Hope this helps
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics