Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Taking off Erev YT

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 1:34 am
I work in the medical profession.

I work for a doctor who is not Jewish but is very respectful and willing to accommodate Shabbos, YT, early Fridays, etc.

The question is how far I can push it without jeopardizing my job, career, good relationship with him, etc.

For example, early Fridays I leave at 2 p.m. which gives me enough time to get home about an hour before Shabbos. Once the clocks change, I leave about 2 hours before Shabbos. My husband feels it's not necessary for me to work until the last possible minute on Fridays and I should try to get out earlier. I just don't feel it's fair to take off extra hours for my convenience.

Or Erev YT, I usually work pretty much a Friday schedule even though it becomes a mad-house at home with me coming home only an hour before YT, especially erev Pesach. I could ask to leave earlier but I'm hesitant. I just feel like I should only take off work for dire necessity, and there will be times when there is no choice for me but to take off work, so I should try to push myself all the other times.

This year I will probably leave early on Taanis Esther and take off the whole Purim day, even though I know mothers who work all day Purim. I feel it's unfair to the kids and takes away their whole YT not to have a parent at home. Also because Pesach is Shabbos this year I will probably take off erev Pesach.

As I said he's very nice and doesn't usually give me a problem when I ask for time off, I just don't want to abuse it.

tichellady

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 3:09 am
Do you have vacation days as part of your package?

Miri7

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 3:32 am
It doesn't sound to me like you are abusing it. I think it's totally reasonable to take erev pesach off. In fact, I think it's amazing anyone could work that day!

It doesn't sound like you are abusing the privilege at all. When my non jewish work colleagues find out how YT works and how many people I host for sedarim, they're shocked I work at all the week before!

Just be a great employee - they are hard to come by your boss will appreciate your effort and will be happy to accommodate you.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 9:28 am
Op here.

I am a good worker and he values my work. It would be hard to replace me since he'd have to train someone new.

I have 3 weeks vacation officially but between YT and taking a tiny family trip in the summer (long weekend basically) I already exceed it. I have no official sick or personal days although as I said he is quite accommodating when I ask.

sitting

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 9:37 am
I wld be upfront on those extra days u wld like off but dont feel u shld...like erev pesach or purim. Explain it to him. Say there's lots of prep to be done. ..u can try to do lots the nite bf....but when u come home an hr bf yt its a strain but ur willing to do it if he desp needs u as u desp like ur job etc. Sounds like hes a decent boss and if he can manage the extra half day without u say erev purim or an xtra hr on a fri he will say so.

ROFL

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 9:56 am
Are you the only person working in this office ? Other than the doctor ? If your work is not involved in daily interactions with patients can you offer to come in other times or stay later to cover the work needed to be done and make sure the work is completed before yom tov
I admire your work ethics.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 6:48 pm
I normally work erev YT, especially as there's no prohibition against work as in YT and Shabbat themselves so I can't justify taking erev YT off for religious reasons. If anything, it's for personal or convenience reasons, in which case I'll need to use my paid holidays. Also I'd rather miss just 2 days of work, instead of 2.5 days of work or 3 days of work, which makes catching up a bit more challenging.

It's not that bad, especially Pesach doesn't kick in till close to 7pm. You just need to be very organised, prepare most things in advance or outsource.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics