Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What kind of gift would you give?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 12:54 pm
We hope in the near future to be able to purchase a home in our area. My in laws and my parents have both graciously told us that they will help us with the down payment.
I want to get them both something to show our appreciation. I also plan to write a heartfelt letter telling them all just how much we appreciate their help.
What gift would you get parents for this kind of generous help?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 1:03 pm
I would work on a a card showing appreciation for the parents they are or have it put professionally on a plaque. I don't know if I would purchase a gift. It wouldn't feel right to me to spend money on a gift when they are gifting you with money. I would definitely concentrate on writing out my appreciation to them as parents, how they are always there for you, selfless, want the best for their children, etc.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 1:06 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I would work on a a card showing appreciation for the parents they are or have it put professionally on a plaque. I don't know if I would purchase a gift. It wouldn't feel right to me to spend money on a gift when they are gifting you with money. I would definitely concentrate on writing out my appreciation to them as parents, how they are always there for you, selfless, want the best for their children, etc.
That is a beautiful idea, the plaque. Wow, I have to write it out well, but you are correct, a gift probably is silly if they are giving us money.
Thank you. I really like the idea (OP)

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 4:06 pm
The finest gift is a gift of oneself. Courtesy of Henry David Thoreau, not of Zenobia Zaqarias. Normal parents really do not want their financially-strapped children spending money on gifts for them. Thought, time and caring are what count, so the verbal, rather than material, expression of appreciation is paramount. A prompt invitation to a festive dinner or Shabbos in your new home, crowned perhaps with a homemade cake on which you have written "Thank You Mom and Dad, our house is your house (literally!)" or something like that, would be just the ticket.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics