Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
To Kill a Mockingbird sequel coming out

morah

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 8:59 am
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015......html
And what a cool story, too! It's like coming out of a time capsule! Very exciting and I can't wait to read it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 9:05 am
Thanks for the link. I had heard on the news that a second novel by Harper Lee was coming out, but didn't realize it was written over 50 years ago. What exciting news!

rae gi

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 10:12 am
Thanks for posting. I wonder who they will choose to play Atticus Finch if they ever make a movie based on this book. Gregory Peck was amazing in the role.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 10:33 am
Wow!!!!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 10:34 am
One of my favorite hs reads!

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 10:35 am
weird I was just talking about 'to kill a mockingbird' yesterday

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 10:39 am
My favorite book of all time, I think. I hope the sequel doesn't disappoint. Though, I think a lot of my love for the book has to do with the innocence of childhood, which wouldn't be there in the sequel, or at least as much....

(I also read somewhere that Laura Lipman? was coming out with a rewriting of TKAM....anyone else heard about this?)

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 10:50 am
the fact that it was written prior to the one we are familiar with would leave me to believe it is just as great a story line ...
especially nowadays where there are prequels and sequels to many things that aren't worthy ... and unlike many it was part & parcel of her original thoughts to 'to kill a mockingbird'

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 10:52 am
what is also nice is that she is still alive to appreciate 'go set a watchman' coming out ... usually things like this - if found - are posthumous

morah

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 10:52 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My favorite book of all time, I think. I hope the sequel doesn't disappoint. Though, I think a lot of my love for the book has to do with the innocence of childhood, which wouldn't be there in the sequel, or at least as much....

(I also read somewhere that Laura Lipman? was coming out with a rewriting of TKAM....anyone else heard about this?)

I don't know if you read the link, but she actually wrote it before she wrote TKAM, but her editor convinced her to write it from the PoV of Scout as a child. So I find this doubly interesting not just as a sequel but having been conceived of before what we think of as the original. Not only that, but they are not making any changes, so it is staying as was written 60 years ago, so no influence from how the last 60 years have gone down. Like I said, it is like coming from a time capsule.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 11:05 am
I did read the link, but it made it seem like this sequel (pre-written) is written from an adult POV, just with flashbacks of Scout as a kid, which influenced the writing and release of TKAM.

morah

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 11:09 am
Yes, that's it. Which is why it isn't really a sequel in the traditional sense. And while we won't know how good it is till we read it, I don't think it will "ruin" the first book even if it ends up being a disappointment.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 11:14 am
I didn't mean it would ruin TKAM....I just meant I don't know if I will like it as much, I have to wait and see. Just because of the POV, since I like a child's voice, not because of any doubts to the writing caliber!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 11:16 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Why would anyone do this? I saw that Alexander McCall Smith is doing a rewrite of Emma, set in the 21st century. But TKAM? (There is a new Tess Monoghan coming out.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics