Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How do I teach BF baby to take bottle?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 5:39 am
DD had a few bottles when she was one month old due to supply issues, from then until around 7 mos. EBF (except for real food). Around 2 weeks ago, I had a minor crisis and had to leave her w/ SIL. DD took a bottle beautifully. (Although, she did throw up the contents around 1.5 hrs. later.) Anyway, now she refuses to take a bottle: from me (very insulted), from DH, from DH when I was NOT home, from DH when she was VERY hungry.

What should I do? I don't think it's safe for a baby to refuse to take a bottle for hrs. and hrs. Things can come up and mother and baby can't always be together. I still want to BF, but I would really like her to know how to take a bottle, especially a pumped one. She still has another 5 mos. til she's 1 and is not a big food eater. She needs her milk.

Any advice?

lfab

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 8:35 am
Did you try giving her a bottle of pumped breastmilk? She may not be willing to take formula if she is used to the taste of breastmilk. Also was the bottle warmed up before being offered to her? Remember, when you breastfeed the milk is warm so warm the milk up to a little more than room temp. (a few of my babies would only take warm bottles-even formula had to be warmed up).

rachel6543

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 8:40 am
Maybe try a cup instead of a bottle?

miami85

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 8:42 am
It could be a number of things, such as the bottle. I had to go through several bottle brands before I could find one that my son would take--took me several months. He would just wait for me to come back to nurse him--he was a big baby and never lost weight due to it, often ate a lot all evening. Was a good thing to try your husband trying to feed her while you weren't home. She likely won't take a bottle from you--she probably smells your milk, I know I couldn't feed my sons bottles--they wanted the real thing.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 8:47 am
I tried to make it warm, but it may have cooled down too fast. I fave her formula. She took it two weeks ago so I didn't think there'd be issues. Although, last time was milk and this time soy. I don't really think what was in the bottle was the problem as she refused to suck it. (She had no idea what the temperature or the contents were other than maybe a few drips that came out when I tried.)

Hmmm maybe I should try giving her a cup of just water. I doubt she would sucessfully be able to drink from a sippy cup but it might give her more positive feelings... I was also thinking about giving her the bottle and letting her do what she always does and put it in her mouth. She might decide it's yummy just like her biscuit and other food. Has anyone tried that?

chani8

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 11:01 am
I use the MAM bottle because their particular nipple works very well for babies not used to bottles.

Formula is yummy and sweet. It's not like you're giving her something disgusting. Most babies like it. So, I'm thinking the nipple is the problem here (use a MAM). Also, make sure you're using at least a number 2 nipple for a baby that age, who is used to fast flowing food.

chani8

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 11:04 am
Oh, and if your baby threw up, it's probably from too much lactose in the formula. Find a formula that is low in lactose. Most "Step" formulas have lactose as the first ingredient. You don't want that. I use regular Materna that lists lactose as like the fifth ingredient. But if a baby throws that up, you gotta switch to low or no lactose.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 11:17 am
OP here. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think it's the bottle. She didn't try to suck from it at all. She just refused it.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 11:18 am
chani8 wrote:
Oh, and if your baby threw up, it's probably from too much lactose in the formula. Find a formula that is low in lactose. Most "Step" formulas have lactose as the first ingredient. You don't want that. I use regular Materna that lists lactose as like the fifth ingredient. But if a baby throws that up, you gotta switch to low or no lactose.

I am trying soy b/c she is sensitive to dairy in general. I try to eat a low-dairy diet as well.

chani8

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 12:58 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think it's the bottle. She didn't try to suck from it at all. She just refused it.

Well, certainly if she never got the bottle in her mouth, it's not the nipple. She just shoved it away, eh? LOL, tough cookie. She's got a strong opinion, that's for sure. Sounds like she wasn't all that hungry. You can't force her to take a bottle. You can offer it. You can offer food instead. Probably the best time to offer the bottle is when she wakes up from a nap, at her scheduled feeding time.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 1:27 pm
chani8 wrote:
Well, certainly if she never got the bottle in her mouth, it's not the nipple. She just shoved it away, eh? LOL, tough cookie. She's got a strong opinion, that's for sure. Sounds like she wasn't all that hungry. You can't force her to take a bottle. You can offer it. You can offer food instead. Probably the best time to offer the bottle is when she wakes up from a nap, at her scheduled feeding time.

LOL! You bet! For me, she was put in nursing position and then saw the bottle... that's not what's supposed to happen!! She has red hair too Smile But she was VERY hungry. She is usually fed every 2.5 hrs. She woke up after 4 hrs. (it was night) and refused bottle. She continued to refuse and cried til she fell asleep on DH for a few hrs. Then she woke up again screaming. I had no idea how stubborn she is or I wouldn't have left her. I knew she knows how to take a bottle from when she was w/ SIL... It could be it was DH. He is very kind and gentle, but he is a man. She might respond better to someone who has experience w/ babies (SIL has 2 of her own). Anyway, I felt horrible, so now I am trying to figure out what to do for the future. Things come up and it's not always practical to take a 7 mo. old along.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics