Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Sleeping question

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 11:15 am
So my 3 year old and my 1.5 year old sleep in the same room. Until recently, bedtime was 6:30. It was the perfect bedtime for both of them. Lately, I've seen that my 1.5 year old cries for a while once I put her in. I'm pretty sure she needs to change her bedtime to 7:30. She sleeps about 1-1.5 hours in gan in the mornings. She got rid of her 1st nap pretty early, by the time she was 1 years old, and I don't think she needs this one either! This is in big contrast to my older one. She definitely needs a lot more sleep. However, the ganenent doesn't want only one child not to nap, and there's no ganim for that age range that don't have nap time in the mornings. The only thing I can think of is to change her bedtime. However, my 3 year old refuses! If I don't put in her sister at the same time, she cries and cries! My 3 year old cannot go in at a later time - she is exhausted by the time 7:30 rolls around.

Any ideas??

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 12:18 pm
Bump?

Health is a Virture

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 12:23 pm
put out some toys for your 1 1/2 year old to do by herself (if she will do it) or if it's possible get your husband or a young girl to entertain her for the next ten minutes. and then tell your 3 year old that you are giving her special mommy time. Only she will get this special mommy time if she goes to sleep nicely, but nobody else can be in the same room as her except for mommy of course. give her 10 minutes of private time reading books,etc. if she complains, explain to her that her sister naps and she doesn't and that's it. Be firm about it, but nonchalant. after a few days, she should be able to get used to the routine. if it is bec. she is afraid to go to sleep by herself then tell her that you will check on her every 5 minutes. after a few days, make the 5 minutes go a little longer etc.

mommy12

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 12:34 pm
My four year old needs to be in bed early, whereas my three year old thinks sleep is optional. We give the three year old books to read in bed. It usually works.

Can you compromise and make bedtime at 7?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 12:41 pm
Thanks so much for the suggestions!

I don't think my 1.5 year old would be willing to be out of the room for 10 minutes. I don't have anyone who could be available at that time to entertain her. Also, I did sleep training with both my kids and I really try to make it a point not to give them anything to do in the crib, they should only sleep there.

My 3 year old can't really make it til 7. It's crazy how 6:30 is perfect, she's not overexhausted, but 7 is already too much! And 7 is still early for my 1.5 year old, I tried. 7:30 seems to work for her.

I do wonder if it wouild make a difference as you said, to go in every 5 minutes. I don't think she's scared, she's just jealous Smile But maybe if I said ok you lie down and I'll be back in 5 minutes, then maybe she'd be more willing. I can give this a try!

On shabbos, I let my 3 year old stay up a bit. She usually suffers for days after! It's crazy!

mommy12

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 12:46 pm
If my four year old is not getting ready for bed at 6 and in bed by 6:30, he's a mess the next day. And with a three year old brother who never stops talking and doesn't want to sleep, it's almost impossible. Many times, my three year old decides he needs to use the potty after he gets in bed and that had them both going to bed at the same time, but gave my older son some extra time to fall asleep without his brother making noise.

We sometimes would sit outside the door so they would know we were there. That would help at times. They keep becoming immune to different ideas so we have to keep coming up with new things. It's not fun or easy.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 12:49 pm
mommy12 wrote:
If my four year old is not getting ready for bed at 6 and in bed by 6:30, he's a mess the next day. And with a three year old brother who never stops talking and doesn't want to sleep, it's almost impossible. Many times, my three year old decides he needs to use the potty after he gets in bed and that had them both going to bed at the same time, but gave my older son some extra time to fall asleep without his brother making noise.

We sometimes would sit outside the door so they would know we were there. That would help at times. They keep becoming immune to different ideas so we have to keep coming up with new things. It's not fun or easy.

Thanks for this. You're an amazing mommy!

Glad to know I'm not alone. I'm feeling so sleep-deprived!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics