Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What to do with Granite Countertops for Pesach

lattemom

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 8:38 am
It will, G-d willing, be my first time making Pesach and was wondering what to do with my granite counter tops.

I am afraid to kasher them as the boiling water might damage the wood cabinets underneath them.

If you cover them - what do you cover them with?

Thanks!

cbg

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 8:59 am
I went to Home Depot with the measurements and had them cut paneling to fit my kitchen and then I labeled each piece.
My daughter bought corragated plastic and cut it herself, this option is more water resistant, but a bit hard to cut.

If they sell the corrugated plastic in Home Depot they can probably custom cut it for you.

animeme

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 10:33 am
I use boiling water. You don't need to use more than you need, and a little boiling water won't hurt your wood, which is treated. The only place the water has access to your wood is the front, and you can close the drawer below on a plastic tablecloth to block it.

That being said, not everyone agrees that you can kasher today's granite because of the coating on top. Aylor. I have done the Home Depot thing as well and was happy.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 10:54 am
We kasher the. With boiling water, then shock it with cold water. I take a few plastic table cloths and cover the wood cabinets with them.

Chickpea

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 11:00 am
If I cover my granite countertop with corrugated plastic, do I still have to pour boiling water on it? I keep getting differing opinions about this.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 12:55 pm
I do it with my husband - he pours water and I stand ready with towels ready to wipe up spill overs - often - I will be waiting with the towel just under the counter top lip and wipe up - you dont need a lot of water - just enough water to go on the surface. Do about a foot of counter top at a time
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics