Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Accidentally gave out choking hazard to my sons class

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 5:15 am
My son turned 5 but is in 4 year nursery and I was doing his class party in school. In the morning before he left he begged me to have a party favor for the class. IT was so icy out that I was afraid to drive anywhere so I called a local toy store told them my son turned 5 and asked if they had a small gift for 18 kids I could have wrapped to give out and they said they had a cute mini bowling set so I said ok and I picked it up on my way to class party. At the end we gave each child the gift and went home but after I looked at it and saw that it is a really small bowling ball - def a choking hazrd - it says on package not for 3 and under because it's a hazard and the age for game is 5 and up.
I literally cannot sleep it's all I can think about. My son opened his and played it for a few minutes then we bagged the set and put it away. But I am so worried that the ball is so small and some of these kids have younger siblings or what if they try to eat the ball? I am beyond nervous and don't know what to do. I can't sleep it's all I can think about.

5mom

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 5:30 am
You made an honest mistake. If you are worried, you can type up a letter to the parents of your son's classmates and ask the teacher to send it home with the kids. (Or email the class list, if you can.) Explain that you didn't realize that the gift contained a choking hazard and to please be vigilant.
My guess is that many of the parents have already made sure that the ball is kept away from their younger children anyway, but they will be pleased that you cared enough to warn them.
Don't beat yourself up over this. Stuff happens.

nyer1

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 6:57 am
If it said for ages 3 and up I don't see the problem. Parents just have to monitor their little babies that's all. They always have to do that when they have older children with small toys

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 9:49 am
Thanks for replies. My kids were playing with it this morning my youngest is 3.5 and I just kept warning not to eat the ball and she said she knew. It actually says 5 plus on package for age but 3 and under it's a hazard for. I think I will leave it alone and hope for the best now. I feel terrible. Lesson learned - stickers and pencils from now on or something fun like that.

MamaBear

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 10:09 am
But your kid and his peers are well over age 3. Your concern is unwarranted. I thought you accidentally gave the toys to a class of 2-3 yr olds. This is totally different.

Please don't lose sleep over something like this.

morah

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 10:13 am
The hazard is for under three, but it probably says five and up because motor skill wise it is a five year old toy. I wouldn't worry about it. And any family where there are younger siblings knows they have to be careful with keeping older kids' toys away from the little ones.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 6:35 pm
nothing to recall ... parents know to keep an eye on their kids - 4 & 5 year old kids are pretty aware if you tell them not to put things in their mouths
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers