Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Time management & home management

Bebesimcha

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 10:01 pm
Did anyone ever hire someone to help with time managment? Would that be a life coach? BH I do work but it's more of a chesed than work which I need to produce or clock in at a certain time. I can make a list of so many things that I want to accomplish yet the day just goes by and the things just don't get done. Even things like making dr appts or going to the gym or a shiur.

BH I do have cleaning help. The house is not disfunctional! My children are older and mostly out of the house. There is food in the house but not necessarily supper on time, cooked for hus and daughter, who is still home. I do cook but not formal sit down together dinner, which would be nice.

There is no good reason other than lack of time managment.
The clutter in certain areas is also bothering me lately. Together with the icey weather I am so homebound, it's getting depressing. I rarely see people and I am such a people person.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Miri7

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 10:18 pm
I struggle with time management too. What works best for me, though I can't always implement it, is organizing my time by the half hour. So I schedule myself things to do in 30 minute increments. It is crazy at first but works. I make my plan the evening before.

If something comes up and I run late then I have to quickly reprioritize and some things move off the list.

I also try to get a lot done by 11am. If I haven't been productive by 11, I know my day is pretty much shot. Sad

When managing my to do list, I plan to do the tasks that I most dread doing first. Getting them out of the way is such a relic and gets me energized to do more.

I think a lot of it is finding a system that works for you and sticking with it. Meal planning, lists, apps, schedules, etc. I am interested to hear others suggestions.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 12:55 am
Lately I've been deciding what to do based on priorities. If I have a few things I want/need to do, eg: make phone calls, sweep the floor, exercise, cook dinner, declutter my closet... I think which of those things is most priority at this moment. So usually the decluttering is the thing that gets let go and probably doesn't end up happening that day, even though it's the thing I'm most excited about doing. Because having a decluttered closet but a dirty floor and no dinner really doesn't make sense. So I try to think what dinner will be and how much time it will take, if it's something I can put up to cook and then forget about it for a while then I would probably do that. Then I would make the phone calls while I sweep the floor and if I have time I can exercise etc... It really helps me be in the moment and get the stuff that need to get done done vs the stuff I want to do but which leads to neglecting the more important things

Bebesimcha

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 7:14 pm
Has anyone had any experience hiring a home organizer? I was thinking that if I had a women work with me for 2 hrs. a wk then it would force to focus and not get distracted and just stop for one minute to make a phone call & never come back to the organizing job, which contrary to the other mom I really realy dislike doing .

Are there any home organizers out there? Do you help with time management as well?

acccdac

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 8:23 pm
Miri7 wrote:
I struggle with time management too. What works best for me, though I can't always implement it, is organizing my time by the half hour. So I schedule myself things to do in 30 minute increments. It is crazy at first but works. I make my plan the evening before.

This is a great idea, flylady has a similar concept/saying "you can do anything in 15 min". Get yourself a timer (phone or kitchen timer). Do 3 separate tasks in 3 separate 15 minute increments. Then do a 4th set of 15 minutes which is yours to do as you wish. Then repeat

Miri7 wrote:
When managing my to do list, I plan to do the tasks that I most dread doing first. Getting them out of the way is such a relic and gets me energized to do more.

I read a book called, "Eat That Frog". He says that you should do your ugliest task of the day (your frog) first because then you feel accomplished by just doing that. Plus we are queen procrastinators, that means we know that needs to be done so we do other "needed" tasks so at least we can say we did something productive, for example, cleaning out the junk drawer instead of calling to make dentist appointments. (or visa versa depending on what you hate more)

Miri7 wrote:
I think a lot of it is finding a system that works for you and sticking with it. Meal planning, lists, apps, schedules, etc. I am interested to hear others suggestions.

I recently read "the sidetracked home executives" I laughed my way through the book and saw myself in every story/example.

You can hire an organizer to help you, but you sound like you have the tools/skills you just have a motivation or consistency issue. Choose a method, follow it, and reward yourself for completing tasks/skills.

Also learn to delegate. I started something new, instead of ME choosing meals for dinner, I gave my kids an empty calendar and a list of meals (milk, chicken, meat) and side dishes. I told them to fill out the calendar according to a requirement (each week needs 2 chicken, 1 meat, 2 milk). I looked it over and made a few adjustments based on shopping needs but I had a month worth of meals without me having to plan it myself.

Bebesimcha

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 12:16 pm
Thanks so much for your reply.

I absolutely love the idea of having the kids make the menu for the week! I may try that. Decision making and trying too hard to keep everyone happy can lead to some more procrastinating.

Thanks for your vote of confidence that I have the skills yet lack the motivation. Where do I find the motivation or "stick-to-it"ness (love that made up word!) to stay to whatever plan I decide on. I find it so hard not having any accountability to anyone. Too much time with no structure is my biggest problem! I know that to some women that would be a dream. If you are motivated and organized it's great. To me sometimes I don't know why I get out of bed in the morning. Not to say that I don't have responsibilities or get some things done. The winter weather doesn't help. Hibernating is depressing!

I will try to read some of your recommendations. Even just to get a laugh!! Thanks so much for your support, and understanding. Keep it coming!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics