Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
"It takes a village to raise a child."

Ashrei

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 7:04 pm
I googled it and it seems to be an African proverb. But like many words of wisdom, it is probably in Torah. Does anyone know the Torah source for the equivalent of this?

I need it for a thank you letter I want to write for the team of amazing therapists that work with my son. Smile

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 8:17 pm
The only vaguely related expression I can think of off the top of my head is :kol yisrael arevim zeh bazeh.

There is wisdom among umot haolam and we are allowed, indeed encouraged, to use it. (The tricky part is knowing what is wisdom and what is shtus or worse.) No reason not to use the quote, which entered the English language even before Hillary Clinton made it a cliche.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 8:19 pm
I was thinking the opposite, actually... The statement that a child's language comes either from the mother or from the father?...

To me that implies that chazal thought the parents are the ones with the primary influence on a child.

But there could be a different point written elsewhere. Wish I could help! Good luck.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 6:24 pm
Ashrei wrote:
I googled it and it seems to be an African proverb. But like many words of wisdom, it is probably in Torah. Does anyone know the Torah source for the equivalent of this?

I need it for a thank you letter I want to write for the team of amazing therapists that work with my son. Smile

Torah has no monopoly on words of wisdom. Just saying.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics