Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Shabbos in Morgan Stanley-Columbia

amother

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 9:24 am
Giten erev shabbos. I am going to be shabbos in the columbia hospital on 7 tower, my baby is in the nicu after heart surgery. If anyone was there already over shabbos, please give me any advice that you have. Where did you eat? did you use shabbos elevator? etc.. anything would be a help. Thanx!

kb

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 10:06 am
You can pm me. I assume you know about the kosher food. There is a bikur cholim apartment. I don't have the number but you can pm me for the name and number of someone who runs it. If not, ask the nurse to contact the Jewish chaplain for you.

The kosher room has lots of shabbos food, including hot stuff. Someone brought us good when we were there, but the organizations do supply a lot of food (it's just not home made).

I didn't use the shabbos elevator (not saying you can't) and the nurses were all very happy to open doors for me. All in all they were very accommodating. I said I don't want to use the elevator and they accepted that.

Any more questions let me know. Refuah shelaima and good shabbos.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 12:58 pm
Thank you for your reply. I am going to sleep in bikur cholim apt iyh. where did you eat?

amother

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 12:58 pm
Thank you for your reply. I am going to sleep in bikur cholim apt iyh. where did you eat?

kb

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 1:02 pm
I don't remember! I think in the baby's room. Maybe the kosher room but I don't think so.

kb

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 1:05 pm
If you are less than a week post partum (which I assume you are if your baby is in the nicu and it's your first shabbos dealing with this.) please do not Not use the shabbos elevator without asking a rabbi. And be sure to include the fact that it's the seventh floor.

You can also contact chai lifeline (if they don't find you first!) For help, food, etc.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 1:08 pm
kb wrote:
If you are less than a week post partum (which I assume you are if your baby is in the nicu and it's your first shabbos dealing with this.) please do not Not use the shabbos elevator without asking a rabbi. And be sure to include the fact that it's the seventh floor.

Why are you specifying how many days post partum she is in regards to using shabbos elevator? Not to mention, why must she ask a Rav? Many people hold from using a Shabbos elevator, or even a regular elevator they Someone else pushes the button.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 1:13 pm
amother wrote:

The NICU doesn't have 'rooms' which I imagine is why you are asking. You can eat in the Bikur cholim room or in the family lounge right on the 7th floor (across from the elevators)

kb

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 1:13 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Why are you specifying how many days post partum she is in regards to using shabbos elevator? Not to mention, why must she ask a Rav? Many people hold from using a Shabbos elevator, or even a regular elevator they Someone else pushes the button.

Because if she's asking if anyone used it, that means she's considering not using it. I know I personally did not feel comfortable using the shabbos elevator. But I did not leave the hospital when my baby was in the nicu, so I didn't have the challenge she is facing. I wanted to point out that even someone who wouldn't use a shabbos elevator should probably be using it when less than a week post partum.

And that she should not decide not to use it without taking to a rabbi first. (Don't be a chossid shoteh. Being Jewish doesn't mean she had to hurt herself.)

kb

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 1:15 pm
pesek zman wrote:
The NICU doesn't have 'rooms' which I imagine is why you are asking. You can eat in the Bikur cholim room or in the family lounge right on the 7th floor (across from the elevators)

Oh that's right... my first shabbos there I ate in my room, and next time around we were in the picu, so we had a room.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 1:19 pm
kb wrote:
Because if she's asking if anyone used it, that means she's considering not using it. I know I personally did not feel comfortable using the shabbos elevator. But I did not leave the hospital when my baby was in the nicu, so I didn't have the challenge she is facing. I wanted to point out that even someone who wouldn't use a shabbos elevator should probably be using it when less than a week post partum.

And that she should not decide not to use it without taking to a rabbi first. (Don't be a chossid shoteh. Being Jewish doesn't mean she had to hurt herself.)

Got it. Thanks for clarifying
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note