Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
12 yr old son with terrible OCD

amother

Post Sat, Feb 07 2015, 8:53 pm
My 12 year old son has an unusual type of OCD that has gotten progressively worse over that last few years. It started around 3 yrs ago when he wouldn't eat any food that came in contact with a certain side of our kitchen table. The reason for this is because I put a baby bottle on that side of the table that had "gross" baby formula in it. This continues to this day. He also doesn't eat food that came in contact with various parts of our fridge for similar reasons. Same with certain kitchen cabinets. When it comes to foods he does eat -and there are VERY few- he is always complaining that the food is to hot, cold, hard, soft, over-cooked, under-cooked, or just doesn't look or feel right and therefore can't eat it. He is losing weight. He has never eaten many foods that r typical foods in an average 12 yr olds diet. I have taken him to several psychologists with no progress. He is also taking medication that doesn't seem to be helping. His psychiatrist has upped the dosage and switched the meds with no success. Other then this issue he is basically a normal kid. He is an average student who has friends and loves to play ball. I'm worried though that his food/OCD issues r getting worse and will take over his life. Anyone have a similar problem or ideas? Thanks.

imasinger

Post Sat, Feb 07 2015, 8:59 pm
Have you consulted with a nutritionist who specializes in kids with food issues? That might provide a different approach.

Miri1

Post Sat, Feb 07 2015, 9:36 pm
Have you explored PANDAS?

amother

Post Sat, Feb 07 2015, 9:41 pm
Wow, must be so hard to see your son go thru that.
Have you seen the book 'what to do when your brain gets stuck'?
It's a Book on overcoming OCD for children.
Are you in Brooklyn? Netasha Crewdson (sp?) is supposed to be a very good psychologist specializing in children with OCD. She sees frum kids a lot.
Best of luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children