Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Buying my own jewelry?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 7:43 am
Does anyone buy their own jewelry?
I buy cheap costume pieces but my dh is the one who buys gold and diamond jewelry for me for bdays and anniversaries.
The thing is I don't always like what he buys. We are not very rich and it is usually something small and delicate. I would rather he saves and gets me something bigger, because when I am not young and slim anymore, I am not gonna look good in tiny rings and thin chains. I know it is a stupid reason. My engagement ring was also very modest, I really want to get something along the line of what the majority of ladies around me are wearing. I know it is a petty reason but that's the way I am.

We are slowly becoming better off Baruch Hashem (not without my income) and I really want to receive something big. I feel like if I have the money, I could just order something myself, especially since my dh would never make an effort to find something beautiful and just buys something plain in the nearest department store (this is another thing I don't like).
However, I am afraid to hurt his feelings because I know he is trying hard to make me happy! I remember when we were really poor, my mother got me something very luxurious and expensive and dh was upset and hurt.

can anyone relate?
(If you cannot, don't. Iif you've been happy with plastic jewelry for the 25 years of your marriage, please don't respond)

PAMOM

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 8:11 am
Absolutely can relate. I took dh into a jewelry store with me while in vacation. I told the saleswoman we really were just looking this time, but who knows about next time. She laughed and was wonderful. I tried on a couple of necklaces, bracelets, and pairs of earrings. Each time I showed dh, asked which one he liked best, and told him which one I liked and why. Guess what? I got a less expensive (semi- precious stone) version of my first choice necklace last year as a gift from him!

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 2:51 pm
bump

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 3:06 pm
op, go jewelry shopping together. you can pick, he can buy. tell him you find jewelry shopping romantic.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 3:09 pm
DH and I have an open and honest relationship. ITA with you, however, I am wearing my engagement ring from my late DH. I got it reset when we got the money.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 3:12 pm
I definitely hear what you are saying!

Don't tell your husband that you don't like what he got you in the past- that is not necessary. Instead, tell him, "you know, for my next (bday, anniversary...) what I would really like is to save up money from a few such occasions, and eventually purchase a (fill in the blank, and be specific). I love and appreciate what you gave me, but would you mind if instead of giving me something at each occasion, we save up money for (_____, something big) for me instead?"

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 3:15 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
op, go jewelry shopping together. you can pick, he can buy. tell him you find jewelry shopping romantic.

Also that you enjoy choosing the perfect one WAY more than the surprise. Have them wrap it anyways.

Try getting him to do what we did. DH took me to a jewellery store, I picked a couple pairs of earrings that I liked. As I excused myself to the bathroom he asked me which I wanted. I told him to choose. He did, paid and had them wrapped. At home he presented them too me. (He made me guess which ones he chose)

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 3:25 pm
another vote for going together and picking up what you like ... you can't go wrong there and then you're both happy on the giving & receiving ends of the gift

Fox

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 4:08 pm
Expensive jewelry falls somewhere between an accessory and an investment, and I'd capitalize on this to guide your DH.

Costume jewelry has its place, and good costume jewelry often lasts a long time and has great practical value. I'll bet most of us have a piece or two that we'd be loathe to part with.

But when you edge up the price and value continuum, you're making an investment, too. You want something that will hold its value and perhaps be handed down to future generations -- and something that you'll enjoy wearing for decades.

Suggest to your DH that you develop a relationship with a jeweler who will guide your purchases as well as maintain your jewelry. Then pay regular visits to this jeweler to have your jewelry checked and cleaned -- and see what new items are available. Your jeweler will not only give you good advice in general about your purchases, but he/she will subtly guide DH on the DW-approved path!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics