Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Who is using my wifi?

acemom

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 10:53 pm
I am trying to determine if someone is using my wifi and slowing the connection. Any software recommendations?

gp2.0

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 10:59 pm
Just put a password on your wifi. Problem solved.

acemom

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 11:34 pm
Actually, I do have a password on my WIFI. It is one that I find hard to remember so had to write it down.

It seems, though, that someone figured out my password or how to hack it.

kb

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 11:40 pm
I don't know how, but there is definitely a way to log onto your router and see who is connected.

Last edited by kb on Mon, Feb 09 2015, 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 11:56 pm
Why not change your password just to be safe?
but you can log on to your router online and see how many users are using it.

Chickpea

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 12:04 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Why not change your password just to be safe?
but you can log on to your router online and see how many users are using it.

how can I tell if someone is using my WiFi?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 12:07 am
Chickpea wrote:
how can I tell if someone is using my WiFi?

There are apps. Just Google.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 12:51 am
Ok if you have a password, it's most probably not being hacked. Easiest way to find out the source of the issue is to call your internet service provider. They can guide you and show you how to log on to your routers info, reset the password if you wish (many people use their cell phone numbers as passwords), see which devices are currently connected or have ever been connected, etc.

Also, you can ask if there's a problem with your provider, maybe they have systems down due to weather or other reasons. It may be a problem on your end, with your specific cable having issues.

One last point, Internet speeds are slower during peak times when more people are home in your area rather than away at work - more people clogging the systems. For example internet is slower on Saturday night than it is on Tuesday morning.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 6:10 am
kb wrote:
I don't know how, but there is definitely a way to log onto your router and see who is connected.

How you do that depends on the router. I could tell you how to do it on my router but that probably wouldn't help the OP. Also, she might have a router that came pre-configured by her ISP who didn't give her the password (to the router, which hopefully is different from the password on the wifi) so she can't break anything. But in that case maybe she can't change the wifi password, either. If one of those is an issue I'm sure the tech support people at her ISP have plenty of free time to help with this Twisted Evil

And it won't necessarily tell her who is connected. All my router shows is the MAC address of each wireless device. There are apps that will get you more info, but I don't need one at the moment so I'm not going to download one myself, and maybe if your neighbor has named his computer or phone "Joe's iPhone" that could help. But its name might be gibberish or "Thanks for leaving your wifi open"

If it was me, I'd rather just get the bandwidth hog off my network, so I'd change my password. But if the OP is more interested in knowing who it is, I'll make the popcorn.

acemom

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:20 am
Thanks for all the input.

I downloaded "WHO IS ON MY WIFI" and it shows all connected devices. So far none are not ours so that issue is solved.

GP2.0 pointed out a valid idea about the usage in the area or it being weather related. I usually find the speed to be much slower in the evenings.

Fox

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 1:00 pm
Funny anecdote: a decade or so ago, when high-speed Internet wasn't as, well, high-speed, there were always slowdowns in Florida around 3-4 p.m. on weekdays. Seems a lot of kids came home from school and Skyped with grandparents . . .

And, of course, make sure your password isn't the obvious one: PennyGetYourOwnWifi

ruchelbuckle

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 1:31 pm
FYI: for those concerned about others getting onto their Internet:

My wifi provider (verizon fios) has this feature, and I'm guessing most other companies do, too.

There is a feature that we can access by logging into the "dashboard" of our wifi account and only allow specific devices (you need the MAC address of the device) to tether on to the wifi. Of course, it can be annoying as guests can't acccess my wifi. On the flipside, other people outside also can't access my wifi!

gp2.0

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 2:02 pm
@ ruchelbuckle: It just isn't very likely for people to hack your internet if it's password protected. It's the same as with an unlocked front door or an open window - theft is usually an opportunist crime. With the added caveat that while everyone can figure out how to break a window, most people can't figure out how to hack a password.

(And if there's the rare someone in the vicinity who DOES have the brains, equipment and motivation to hack your wifi, they're gonna do a lot worse things than just surf the internet...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics