Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Poll: eruv--yae or nay?
Previous  1  2

Do you have/use an eruv in your neighbourhood?
Yes--we have an eruv and pretty much everyone uses it.  
 75%  [ 87 ]
Yes--there is an eruv but we don't use it.  
 12%  [ 15 ]
No--but we would use it if there is one.  
 8%  [ 10 ]
No--and we won't use it anyway/won't need it.  
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 116

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:11 am
I think not allowing eruvs and not doing enough to help agunos stem from the same place. Stick all the men in golders green at home with a bunch of toddlers for 25 hours, and his wife is only at home for a few hours in the day, plus he can't go anywhere since one of his kids only takes nutrition from him. Suddenly those machmir rabbanim will be a lot more lenient.

Likewise I know a man whose wife was refusing a get. It took a few months but it wasn't all that difficult for them to find a way round it.

Oh, and note how amother above was allowed to use the eruv for her disabled father. For a man its ok, but not for women. Rolling Eyes

I mean, if there is an eruv it means women can actually leave the house and talk to other people. Who knows what sort of ideas she might get in her head!?

animeme

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:19 am
Always wondered: if a DH doesn't use the eruv but has no issue with his wife using it, then if he puts his tallis, gemara etc in the stroller for his wife to push, isn't that him using it through her? Isn't it the same question as deliberately asking someone who opens bottles to open one just for you when you don't? Nobody benefits from the tallis but him.

And why can we carry a tallis home from shul, if no one needs it later?

summer0808

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:14 am
Where I live there is only a block eiruv so at least I'm not totally locked in. In BP it's a bit controversial. Growing up there was none and my sisters and I took turns staying home so my mother could go out Shabbos afternoon.

When I had first dc, DH said I should use it and I did so happily, went out for meals to Ils etc. One day I noticed that he's not carrying! I refused to push the double carriage and everything across town so we we declined Shabbos meal invites. Now DH decided that he doesn't want me pushing the carriage so he can go to FIL for Shabbos meal. NP we stay at my parents!

BTW, DH doesn't take off his talis or put anything into the carriage. Even on YT. I'm not his Shabbos [gentile]!

saw50st8

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:22 am
animeme wrote:
Always wondered: if a DH doesn't use the eruv but has no issue with his wife using it, then if he puts his tallis, gemara etc in the stroller for his wife to push, isn't that him using it through her? Isn't it the same question as deliberately asking someone who opens bottles to open one just for you when you don't? Nobody benefits from the tallis but him.

And why can we carry a tallis home from shul, if no one needs it later?

DH doesn't use the Flatbush eruv and I do. I did before we met and saw no reason to stop. Eruvim usually affect women more than men. Where we live, DH uses the eruv. But I don't carry his stuff in Brooklyn.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 2:19 pm
I pledge guilty. As Sephardim, my understanding (via DH via his Rav) is that we are more strict and cannot really use many eruvim that rely on artificial boundaries (ie mainly consisting of wires instead of walls). But his Rav mentioned that once an eruv is up and used by majority of Ashkenazim, we can be lenient and rely on Ashkenazim to use the eruv ourselves. (Not poskening here, I missed loads of technical stuff which DH didn't go into details).

Though I'm probably missing a few points here and there, as I've never heard Sephardim in Israel not using eruvim. (Unless Israeli eruvim do not use wires?)

water_bear88

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 2:29 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I pledge guilty. As Sephardim, my understanding (via DH via his Rav) is that we are more strict and cannot really use many eruvim that rely on artificial boundaries (ie mainly consisting of wires instead of walls). But his Rav mentioned that once an eruv is up and used by majority of Ashkenazim, we can be lenient and rely on Ashkenazim to use the eruv ourselves. (Not poskening here, I missed loads of technical stuff which DH didn't go into details).

Though I'm probably missing a few points here and there, as I've never heard Sephardim in Israel not using eruvim. (Unless Israeli eruvim do not use wires?)

The main Yerushalayim eruv definitely uses wires, not sure about other cities and yishuvim.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note