Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Where to find Marmite in Jerusalem?

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 11:30 am
Now that kosher shops in London won't sell South African kosher marmite...
Does anyone know where I can find a jar of kosher (S.African) marmite in Jerusalem?
Someone mentioned about a store in Ra'anana but it's not that convenient for me.

And no, vegemite doesn't count.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 11:33 am
I was about to say bring it from london ... I then re-read the thread

clearly england makes it different from the south africans - I mean their accent & all

you know what I learned in life ... we can find a recipe and try it till we get it right [of course I have never made marmite and it's not on my bucket list]

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 12:06 pm
I forgot to say British marmite is not kosher. It's made in the same facility/shares hot water heating vat as Bovril (beef extract) so got stricken off the kashrut guide some years ago.

hila

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 1:53 pm
I get it in our supermarket - Big Deal, or in NItsat Haduvdevan - there are branches in Jerusalem and in the Gush

hila

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 1:54 pm
How about we trade ? Are you coming here ? I will swap you Marmite for teabags (PG TIPS)

belolah

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 2:15 pm
Cheaperkol on kanfei nesharim usually has, sometimes super hamoshsva. Have also seem it at teva-net by the shuk.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 2:18 pm
Anyone know if it's available in the states? And check out my immediate reaction, which was fully formed even before opening this thread.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 2:22 pm
Thank you so much everyone! I presume these stores are kosher supermarkets so assume the ones they carry are South African?

ally

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 3:20 pm
Super Hamoshava in the German colony is a good bet.

hila

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 3:27 pm
Yes - the ones II told you are the South African Marmite.

BTW I hear the LKBD are negotiating with Unilever about koshering the English Marmite.

Raisin

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 3:43 pm
pathetic. Why can't unilever allow a few dozen jars of kosher marmite to be sold in the UK? Do they really think it is a threat to their business?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 2:23 pm
Raisin wrote:
pathetic. Why can't unilever allow a few dozen jars of kosher marmite to be sold in the UK? Do they really think it is a threat to their business?

My understanding is it's just a matter of principle, rather than business sense. It allegedly has something to do with the licensing agreement (which Unilever is very strict about): S African subsidiary (or JV or affiliate) of Unilever is not authorised to sell their production of Marmite in the UK.

It would be great if indeed KLBD gets Marmite re-certified... Though the original press release from Unilever indicated that they're definitely not going to modify the production process (ie sharing of hot water heating vat), and dunno how KLBD would work around it.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:17 pm
Does anyone know where in the states I can buy marmite? The kosher South African one?

vet techy

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:58 pm
I dont know of a place in the US but there is a south African store in Toronto I believe it is called Sedo Snax that carries kosher marmite.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions