Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Help me use up leftover bread!

ludicrous

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 8:30 am
I have three whole loaves of bread in my freezer, and I have a feeling we won't finish them before Pesach. does anyone have any recipe ideas to use them. my husband doesn't like French toast. I was thinking of making bread crumbs for meat loaf, and challah kugel. any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!
thank you

pesek zman

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 8:36 am
http://kosherscoop.com/2014/01.....fing/

Yum!

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 8:38 am
My mother takes all her leftover bread, tears into small chunks and freezes in ziplock bags. Then whenever she wants to make a challah kugel, bread pudding, etc. she's ready to go.

Other options are dicing & toasting for croutons.

JMM-uc

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 9:18 am
You can make bread stuffing to go in the roaster with the chicken.
You can make make bread kugal, or turn the bread into bread crumbs for your schnitzel.

Or plain old French toast Very Happy

2ringsnow

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 9:29 am
U can make delicious garlic bread . I've seen a recipe where u cut off the crust put in s sweet cheese mixture and roll it in sugar and cinnamon and u fry it . Sounded yummy

mandksima

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 10:17 am
Homemade croutons are easy and yummy. Cut bread into cubes and toss with oil and spices such as salt and pepper, garlic and onion powders and oregano. Bake on a lined cookie sheet ina single layer until toasted through. You want it really toasted but not burnt so check often.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 10:35 am
my vote is a sweet bread pudding ...

soak bread [squeeze out excess water]
put in mixer and give it a whirl to break down the pieces into a smooth consistency
add oil, sugar, vanilla, eggs

add lots of flavour to your liking:

bananas
raisins
cinnamon
apples
blueberries

bake for a very long time

ludicrous

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 11:53 am
it is hard to know how big is a medium sized challah. anyone have any ideas to see how much challah should be used?
thank you

yamz

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 1:08 pm
What about strata? It's like a savory challah kugel/casserole (But there are sweet versions too). There are three components. 1) Cubed bread 2) batter - milk + eggs seasoned with salt and pepper 3) add- ins. Choose a few. sauteed onions, chopped scallion, sauteed mushroom, cooked broccoli florets, halved grape tomatoes, large diced roasted or sauteed bell peppers, corn kernels, etc. Shredded cheese is always a nice addition.
Anyway, spray a pan with oil, and place the bread, vegetables (and cheese if using) in the pan. Pour the batter on top. Bake until puffed and lightly golden brown (usually about 45 minutes). Easy and delicious. If you would like a more precise recipe, just do a search and you'll get hundreds. You can even prepare this in advance, refrigerate, and then pop it into the oven when ready to bake!

JuliaB

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 2:46 pm
I make croutons out of old bread or challah. Take out of freezer and defrost enough to cut into cubes. Put in ziploc bag with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, etc and a little oil place on a baking sheet and bake at 375 until crunchy. turn croutons half way through. Sometimes I leave out the oil and spray with an oil spray. Delicious on soups and salads!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics