Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Mishloach Manos for Teachers - is this universal?

doughnut

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 12:05 pm
Is giving mishloach manos (+ money??) to teachers universally expected, or is it only in certain circles? I never really heard of this before imamother. Is it standard practice in MO schools?

jaylow

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 12:06 pm
yes, we keep is small. they receive from so many students, they can not eat it all Smile

pesek zman

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 12:07 pm
Yup, unless you're a total cheapskate.

doughnut

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 12:09 pm
jaydcd wrote:
yes, we keep is small. they receive from so many students, they can not eat it all Smile

Thanks. But with money too? I get the sense from other women here that it's more than just a token. It's like a holiday bonus or something.

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 12:13 pm
pesek zman wrote:
excuse you??? I have NEVER given to teachers by myself. Every single non mo school my kids have gone to do a school wide mm. When I taught at a MO school and sent my kids there as well, there was no school wide mm, and no one sent. Not a single kid. I promise you they werent cheapskates.

It just dawned on me that you might have been sarcastic. But just in case you arent, pay a bit more attention to imamother. NOTHING in yoddishkeit is universal.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 12:14 pm
It's unheard of. No one does.

doughnut

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 12:18 pm
watergirl wrote:
excuse you??? I have NEVER given to teachers by myself. Every single non mo school my kids have gone to do a school wide mm. When I taught at a MO school and sent my kids there as well, there was no school wide mm, and no one sent. Not a single kid. I promise you they werent cheapskates.

It just dawned on me that you might have been sarcastic. But just in case you arent, pay a bit more attention to imamother. NOTHING in yoddishkeit is universal.

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I'm not about to make another clueless parenting mistake.

(And, yes, I'm pretty confident it was sarcasm.)

oliveoil

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 12:19 pm
pesek zman wrote:

No definitely not. Growing up, there was ONE girl out of our grade of 60 who gave to the teachers.

Different places and communities have different customs.

Ilana Tamar

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 12:23 pm
Growing up, we always brought an edible Mishloach Manos to the teacher's house on Purim and the class mothers always collected money Chanukah time for a monetary teacher gift. In the community where I live now, Chanukah gifts for teachers are totally unheard of, but the concept of gifting the teacher once a year is not. Some people choose to give a gift with MM and some just give a regular MM and a gift at the end of the year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics