Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Crazy knotty hair

tzimip

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 8:52 am
Hi. My daughter has curly hair. Lately I've noticed that her curls are extremely knotty. Anyone have any ideas of how to get the knots out? I really don't want to cut the curls.

nywife

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 9:06 am
Have you tried brushing her hair with conditioner on it while she's in the bath? And then brush it again once the conditioner is washed out.
There are also good de-tangling sprays for children. Look in cvs/Walmart

tzimip

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 9:21 am
Thanks, I'm going to try that. Although every time I come at her with a brush she cries and doesn't let me near her.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 9:27 am
make your own spray. the detangling stuff is just diluted conditioner. and if the child cries at the sight of a brush, I think you should consider a haircut. you can grow it out when she's more cooperative.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 9:29 am
Try using a softer brush, like boar-hair bristles. I use that on my own little curly-head (see my avator) and it works well.

Agree - conditioner is a must, it softens the curls too.

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 10:11 am
curly hair should not be brushed ... use a horse comb in the shower while there is conditioner in her hair ... comb out the knots and then rinse & leave ... you should/can use a product like curling creme or hair gel to keep the hair curls to it's natural flow -

then use a spray bottle with some water and a little smoothing out with the hand & with wet hands untangle under the hair by the neck - in between washes or to pull her hair into a pony or half pony

the minute you brush it while dry you're going to get frizz & only frizz which never looks kempt

sky

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 10:55 am
I only brush it when wet, mainly in the bath.
If I have to brush without a bath then I spritz the hair first and only use a wet brush, that helps a bit.
In the bath we brush when her hair is full of shampoo and conditioner. I let her brush first and she gets out a lot, I think she likes being more in control. Then I brush the rest. I start at the bottom of the hair and once there are no knots there I start a few inches up and brush down, I think it is much less painful that way.
In between baths I just ignore the knots.
My daughters hair is still very short (it has never been cut and barely reaches her shoulders) but she hates brushing it.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 11:07 am
There's a type of comb called a "tangle teaser" that is supposed to be really good at working through the knots. If you let your daughter use it she might think it's really fun, and give her a sense of control.
http://www.target.com/p/tangle.....WwAUA

I was also that kid who cried when I saw a hairbrush, and my mom chopped all my hair off and gave me a "pixie cut". I was furious with her, because I didn't feel pretty anymore. Sad

SingALong

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 11:15 am
Same here. Dd hair is a nightmare. She never lets me brush it out. Not even after the bath. I had the stiff curly hair like her and I remember how painful it was when it was brushed. I don't force it. I make her hair into a bun so it's not obvious....

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 11:21 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
There's a type of comb called a "tangle teaser" that is supposed to be really good at working through the knots. If you let your daughter use it she might think it's really fun, and give her a sense of control.
http://www.target.com/p/tangle.....WwAUA

I was also that kid who cried when I saw a hairbrush, and my mom chopped all my hair off and gave me a "pixie cut". I was furious with her, because I didn't feel pretty anymore. Sad

many a kid would be furious with their moms for chopping their unkempt hair ... I believe in learning to brush it out for themselves and also teaching them to brush it with the right implements ... I love the way that tangle teezer looks - I would buy one if my kiddies were still little

Learning

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 11:21 am
For now Try to let her brush it by herself with conditioner on while you can give her advice which part to brush next.

musicmom

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 12:58 pm
http://www.drugstore.com/produ.....25941

It's a ten spray conditioner is amazing. You can dilute it in another spray bottle to last longer, and use it undiluted for the tough knots. It gets out EVERY KNOT. I have a "hairdressing chair" with activities to do for my kids while I do their hair. They will do it themselves when ready.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 1:03 pm
I put a little coconut oil on DDs hair, then rinse with warm water and comb it wet only. She has hair like me. Not curly even. Nappy.

tzimip

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 1:15 pm
Thanks everyone for responding. I will try all and let you know what works.

tzimip

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 3:30 pm
Yay!! I put tons of conditioner in her hair and brushed and brushed. The knots are out. Her hair looks beautiful. Thanks everyone for posting. Have a great Shabbos.

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 5:26 pm
glad to hear ... I'm sure your daughter will be happier to have her hair brushed when it's this easy Lady

good shabbos Flower
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics